Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Lunch Bunch

It's now been three months since I moved to NYC. I'm still struggling to make friends. I have a couple people that I've gone out with once or twice, but it's not like we're confiding in each other or anything. I also find that everyone is so busy, even if you are really good friends with someone, you don't see them very often. One of my colleagues said she only sees her best friend once every six weeks or so.

Back in Dallas, there were four of us girls who used to work together that coined ourselves "the Lunch Bunch." Most days, we'd just get out of the office to share challenges or personal stories that were going on in our lives. Once we all went our different ways, we only got together on each of our birthdays and for Christmas.

I missed the first Lunch Bunch birthday this month. It really bothered me. I guess we've been doing this now for...6 or 7 years? We've seen each other through a lot, and I miss the easy camaraderie I have with them.

At Christmas time, we get each other gifts. My gift to them is always Tiger Chocolate, a homemade candy made with semisweet chocolate, white chocolate and peanut butter. I've been making multiple batches for so many years, I can't stand the stuff, but my friends love it. Whenever I've hinted that I might do something different, I get passionate pleas for Tiger Chocolate.

Since they are already having to live without me close by, I don't think I can force them into Tiger Chocolate withdrawal, too. I've decided to have a Lunch Bunch weekend in December, so I can personally deliver their sweets and enjoy their company once more.

7 comments:

ColeBugsmommy said...

What a wonderful treat that will be!

grandad says said...

I remember you gave tiger choc to the Continental Airlines people at BHX and they were bonkers over it.

Anonymous said...

Can you share the recipe?
Lisa (a friend of Steph's that reads your blog)

Boilerdad said...

See, you already have tomorrow's post taken care of - post the recipe for Tiger chocolate!

Cher Ping said...

friends take time. don't sweat it. 3 months is not awfully long - so just be patient.

having said that - it is also true that it seems harder to make new friends in big cities - somehow people are colder nowadays. or busier. or they just have less free time. :(

peevish said...

I know what you mean about missing your friends. It sucks.

But I have to believe that it will get better.

And please post the recipe. 'Cause I'm dangerously thin. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Christmas Lunch Bunch! I can't wait to see you.