Sunday, November 18, 2007

Good Workout

It takes me so much longer to run errands here. This is when I miss my CR-V.

My mom gave me a great canvas bag with wheels that folds up very compact. However, I busted it this weekend. I went to the farmers' market and then to the wine store and loaded it up. Walking down the street from the wine store, I heard a CRACK! The plastic part that held the wheels broke. I was one block away from K-Mart, so I limped along to there.

I hauled everything into a grocery cart and found what I needed from K-Mart, including a wire basket cart that folds for easy storage. Perfect, I thought.

After I purchased it, I assembled it in the store. I transferred all my purchases, which now included not only the vegetables and wine but also kitty litter, to the new cart. I took it on the subway and headed home.

I found the elevator in the subway (never used that before) and made it up to the street level. CRACK! Oh no...yep, the wheels on this new cart have plastic spokes. Well, it's still moving along, just a little wonky. Let's see if we can make it through the park and home.

CRACK! Off came the first wheel, and CRACK! again, the second split into smithereens. Who makes spokes out of plastic anyway?

The front wheels were still intact, so I just had to lift with my forearms and push. This also caused me to be closer to the cart, so I'm shuffling a bit. I finally get across the park and across the street. I can see my building...just a little further...my arms are going to fall off...

As I enter the building, the doormen can tell I'm frazzled. One of them helped me up to my apt with my load and commented that this was a good workout! (I don't recommend it.)

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Hopefully you can return it? Maybe don't buy vegetevals (as Colin says) and wine the same day... :-)

get2eric said...

shoulda just bought wine ta heck with the veggies.

peevish said...

Oh, that sucks! I'm glad you made it home with intact wine bottles. I'll bet you needed some wine after that trip!