Monday, November 12, 2007

Knocking Yourself Up

(Inspired by this article)

It's something I think about sometimes...having a baby on my own. I know it's not ideal, but although I can live with the idea that I might never get married again, I can't give up on my dream to have kids. Or at least 1 kid.

I also consider adoption. I know several people who have done that and have had wonderful experiences. I know I could give a child a safe, loving home.

But there's something alluring about the ability to create a child within your own body. I know there are less pleasant aspects of pregnancy (Paula reminded me this weekend), but there's also so much wonder. Plus, I'd like to see some of my genes passed on.

Now, don't panic, this isn't something I'm planning on doing this weekend or anything. It's just interesting to me that there are more and more women who are in my situation -- financially stable and successful that haven't met the right partner -- who are choosing to make their destiny instead of waiting to see if it will happen.

3 comments:

Joey said...

I'm in awe of anyone who can succeed at being a single mother. I'm stretched thin between work and parenting. There are many times I thank God I have a husband to help me. I can't imagine doing this without help. Of course I have 3 kids, so 1 might be more do-able. Interesting topic. If I was single, knowing what I know now, would I voluntarily sign up to be a single mom?? The answer is yes, because the amazing world of motherhood is ultimately worth whatever personal sacrifices are necessary.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I live in Greece and I am a regular reader of your blog. I like your way of writing, very simple and genuine. I' m currently in my early 30s and it's amazing to see that a woman of my age, who lives so far away from my country, has similar concerns with me!

ColeBugsmommy said...

If I was financially secure I wouldn't even think twice about having another kid or adopting. I second Joey's comment. Being a single parent is hard, but the benefits of a child's love is unmeasurable.