Friday, August 31, 2007

"I am a New Yorker who Cares"

[and I don't mean "who cares?"]

In my quest to meet new people and join the community in New York, I have joined the volunteer organization NY Cares, which brings together caring volunteers with needy and worthwhile organizations. I attended my orientation on Tuesday night, and have signed up for my first activity: Bingo with seniors! I love the description the NY Cares organization provides:
Come gamble the night away with lively seniors from Flushing House. Volunteers will call bingo numbers and assist any resident who needs help. This is serious group of bingo players so be ready for some fierce competition.

******

For this weekend, my cousin Rob is coming down from West Point. I'm so excited to have someone to pal around with!

4 comments:

get2eric said...

Have fun with Rob. The week end has started here in Houston. The traffic is unbelievable and its only 4 pm.
We heard on the news this morning that NYC is the heaviest travel destination this w/e. No wonder all the flights are full.

Anonymous said...

So you are in training for Bingo for Senior - eh? Good for taking care of us in our older age :)
Love, M & D

paula said...

Oh Em that sounds so great - can't wait to hear more XX

Anonymous said...

That's awesome, E. So, uhm, maybe next you should look into some kind of volunteering opportunity with hot guys. Bake some cookies for the fire station? Moonlight as a receptionist at a modeling agency? You've got options!