Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Church in New York

So last Sunday I decided to go to a nearby Methodist church. I had searched online and found one just 4 blocks or so from my apartment. Turns out it's the oldest Methodist society in America, organized in 1766! The building they are in now is not the original, but it is certainly old and historic. The sanctuary (and probably the rest of the building) doesn't have air conditioning, and they had placed oscillating fans throughout the area. I was glad to be near one! (It wasn't too hot Sunday morning, but it was a bit stuffy.)

The congregation was small, maybe two dozen people were there, of all ages and ethnicities. The pastor reminded me of John Corbett (Aidan Shaw on Sex in the City and a pastor in Raising Helen) with his long brown hair and youthful looks. The sanctuary doesn't have a sound system, but the pastor has a booming voice, easily heard by all in the room and probably some out on the street.

There was no choir, although they do have an organ. I recognized most of the hymns we sang, but I was frustrated, and a bit tickled, that the organist played them so slow. For the anthem, they had a soloist, and he blew me away. In addition to being incredibly loud (again, without a mike) he had a beautiful voice. He sang the well-known songs in a Broadway style, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's actually performed on Broadway. It was fantastic but still a bit strange to hear traditional religious songs performed in that style.

2 comments:

get2eric said...

Sounds like a nice simple church with no modern doodads. Will you go back?

peevish said...

Hi Emily! You should post a picture of the church. And the pastor looks like John Corbett? That would bring me back!