Monday, August 27, 2007

The Chinese Massage

Yesterday, I wandered around China Town. I'm a little hestitant to eat at most of the restaurants, but I trust the Zagat guide and have eaten at two. The one I chose yesterday wasn't bad, although I still got a little squeamish about the mystery meat in the dumplings in the wonton soup. I also had the garlic chicken, which was delicious, although I had to pick around the bell peppers (I'm allergic).

One of my coworkers had told me about a place in China Town that she goes to for cheap but clean, no frills massage. She told me how to find it, and as she had predicted, I wondered what I was getting myself into to as I walked down the steps from the sidewalk into a dimly lit, pink-walled room. A petite (although aren't they all?) Asian woman met me and led me back into one of the "rooms." I use quotes because the walls between the massage areas didn't reach to the ceiling. They were just over my head, but I'm sure a taller person could have easily seen over. The front of each room has a curtain hung on a thin rope.

I laid face down on the table. The woman came in and asked, "You like strong?" I do and was thinking to myself how much I enjoy when a massage therapist uses their elbows to really dig into my back muscles. Well, I was amazed that she not only used her hands and elbows, but also her knees and feet! With a towel covering me from neck to feet, she spryly jumped up on the table and walked on my back, rocking back and forth from foot to foot on my butt, back and thighs. She had amazing balance.

I have been getting massage for years, usually the Swedish massage method. This massage was very different than I'm used to, but I enjoyed it and left feeling lighter and very relaxed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. If you had an easier word verification thingy maybe more people would comment?
Daddy

Anonymous said...

hahaha Sounds painful,Emily...I like a nice easy gentle massage ahhhhhh xx

paula said...

It's just as well that she was a petite woman could you imagine if it was a larger lady, she would have left indents in your butt cheeks!!! Ooooh kinky!

Vetmommy said...

Massages are wonderful......

get2eric said...

I didn't mean to sound so caustic in my last comment. So I will make amends now.
I just watched 2 hrs of video from 1970s that you provided. It was emotional, as usual, for me to see you again as a little girl. I just can't help tearing up all the time.
After suffering for 2 hrs hoping Mommy would turn it off I left to check my mail...........
Well, the Walkers will be back in 2 days and I will be able to get my kid fix again. If you can't go to the Open, the Walkers aren't chopped liver......

Anonymous said...

I'm really ejoying your blog and reading about your new life in New York City. Hope you will have time to continue to give us updates on a regular basis. You can provide such great info from an insiders perspective. What a great adventure! Have fun and enjoy all your new challenges. Remember if you need a little R&R we would love to have you come visit.
Cathy

ColeBugsmommy said...

Ah, what I would do for a massage right now and I would love a foot rub too!