Thursday, August 02, 2007

Another Goodbye

Last night, I volunteered at Parkland's neonatal intensive care unit for the last time. It was so difficult leaving, walking through the halls and thinking this is the last time I'm going to do this.

What made it even sadder for me was the fact that my good friend and the nurse who I prefer to work with, Lily, wasn't there. I saw her last week, and I refused to let her get sad when I left, agreeing that we'd see each other again this week. When I asked if she had called in sick, the nurse manager said she was taking a two week vacation. Her husband works for an airline and has flight benefits, and she mentioned they'd been debating going to England to see her brother and his family.

The hospital had a record seven sets of twins born in a two-and-a-half day period, so I was able to help quite a bit last night. I held (one at a time) twin boys, and two twin girls who's twins were already home. The first twin boy was very snuggly, and I enjoyed holding him.

As I walked out of the hospital to the parking garage, I couldn't stop the tears from falling. I know I can find a hospital in NYC in which to volunteer, but I will miss the friends I've made. Especially Lily. She is a great nurse, always doing whatever the baby needs (like a bath) even if it's not required. Some of the other nurses are lazy, but Lily really does what's best for her little patients. She talks to them in a matter-of-fact tone and has taught me so much about premies and nursing. She's very modest, strongly religious, and feels her emotions deeply. She still gets teared up when talking about her sister who died more than 10 years ago. She would always give me a hug when I left and would be so appreciative when I walked in, saying my name, "Emileeeee!" She knew I love Indian food and would bring me leftovers of foods she and her husband had prepared. I couldn't even pronounce everything, but it was so good.

I had brought her a small gift and card, which I left in her mailbox. I just missed getting one last hug.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought of you all day yesterday knowing it would be your last night at Parkland. So sad that Lilly was not there but you can always pop in on one of your visits to Dallas. Funny she didn't let you know she wouldn't be there but then again maybe it was her way of dealing with you leaving. Love you so much and particularly for your devotion to Parkland and the babies! I am sure you will find another hospital to spread your love and gifts.
Love, M

paula said...

Okay, now you've made me cry, Em you are such a special lady, beautiful inside and out (big hugs cousin) XXXX

grandad says said...

Yeah, like Paula, you made me tear up too. You are special.
Love Daddy

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD EMILY , THATS REALLY SAD , I SWEAR I WAS ABOUT TO CRY WHEN I IMAGINE YOU WALKING OUT OF THE HOSPITAL, U ARE SO GOOD PERSON , LOOK!! DOING THOSE THINGS , WOW EVRYTIME I READ YOUR BLOGS I LOVE U AND SEE HOW GREAT U ARE ,GOD BLESS YOUR HEART , AND YOUR NEW LIFE , EVERYTHING WILL BE GREAT FOR U I JUST KNOW IT !!!LOVE U GIRL MUCHO.