Thursday, August 30, 2007

Tennis in Top Form

When I opened a bank account here in NY, (my Dallas bank didn't have a branch here) I received two free tickets to the U.S. Open. Knowing how much my parents, especially my dad, enjoy tennis, I couldn't wait to call him, and ended up waking him early that morning to tell him he was going to the Open!

Everyone always thinks airline benefits are the ultimate, and while they are great, the downside is you can only travel if there is space. And unfortunately, my dad found no seats available to any of the nearby airports from last Sunday until Wednesday, the day of my tickets.

I was disappointed that my parents weren't coming up, although I know we will find another time for them to visit. Mostly, I was disappointed they were missing this opportunity.

I offered the tickets to my employees (I have three who report to me currently), and one of them said he'd go with me. The others agreed I should go. So I went, taking my dad with me in spirit.

It was a festive atmosphere at the stadium, at the end of the subway line in Queens. Booths offered U.S. Open apparrel and foodstuffs. The tickets were for the Arthur Ashe stadium, the main stadium, and outside it is a gigantic flat screen showing what's going on inside.

I hadn't checked before going to see who was going to play in this early round, and I was thrilled to hear we were going to see Serena Williams and Roger Federer! They were both stunning to watch, athletes at the top of their game, and Federer in particular made it look effortless and graceful. My coworker and I felt sorry for his opponent!

(See pictures below)

5 comments:

paula said...

Oh wow Em how amazing, great pics, glad you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Em-Em,
We really hated the fact that we could not take advantage of the tickets that you so generously offered and then when we found out we would be missing Serena and Federer -- we were really disappointed! But we are soooo happy you were able to go and enjoy the U S Open. Maybe, next year. Love you, M

Anonymous said...

And, by the way, you look fabulous in that picture! Love, M

Vetmommy said...

Wow, I thought you'd be watching the 100th seed vs. the 101st seed, but no! I'm glad you went with a new pal!

get2eric said...

Bummed.......is what I was that we couldn't get there. but, I did get to spend the evening with Graham, Paige and Evie.

Today we had more fun with the Walker Bunch and I got pics and I will load and post manana.......