Monday, August 20, 2007

A Trip to Target, New-York-Style

Well, I think I was being overly optimistic on Friday about getting in a museum and bike ride this weekend. My big excursions (when I did leave the apartment and all its boxes) were to Target and Container Store.

I had looked online and found that the closest Target stores are in Jersey and Brooklyn. I haven't yet ventured into Jersey, and since I've been to a part of Brooklyn before, I felt more comfortable with that location. I took the subway there, and when I emerged from underground, I thought, "now which way should I go?" I don't have a good map of Brooklyn, and although I had the address, I wasn't sure if it was right or left from the subway station. I decided to just pick a route and hope to figure it out. I turned the first corner, and there was Target across the street! I laughed at my good fortune.

This Target is in a mall, so strange to me, and is located on the 2nd and 3rd floors. To accommodate for this, they have an escalator especially for shopping carts!!! I was amazed, having never seen such a commodity, and I admit that I had to pull my camera out of my bag and take a quick pic! (I'm sure I looked either horribly touristy or like I was investigating this Target store.) Unfortunately, you'll have to wait for this sight, because I forgot my camera cord today. (I don't yet have internet access at home.)

I had to get several heavy items at Target, including cat food, laundry detergent, stain remover, fabric softener, glass cleaner, etc. I tried to get the smallest ones of each of these, knowing I would be carrying them back to Manhattan. I even decided not to get a few things, delaying them for a future trip, to try and limit the weight.

The lines at checkout were unbelievably long. Fortunately, I had a book with me for reading on the subway, so I just read while I stood in line. It took 50 MINUTES for me to checkout. FIFTY! But, what else could I do? I needed these items, and they would cost several dollars more at the local drug store near my apartment.

Oh, those bags were heavy! I stopped at each red light and put them down to give my poor, purple fingers a break. I was glad to get a break on the subway, but not looking forward to carrying them the rest of the way home. As I was nearing home, some frustratingly slow tourists were in front of me. I felt like shouting, "Excuse me!!!! My fingers are about to fall off here! Move the F*$# out of the way!" (I resisted the urge.) My back was starting to hurt, too. Finally, exhausted, I walked into my building, and the friendly doorman said, "Would you like some help?" I gladly handed the bags over to him, and he carried them the rest of the way to my door.

The whole trip took 2 hours. What an excursion! Back in Dallas, when I owned a car, I could get to Target and back home in 20-30 minutes.

4 comments:

ColeBugsmommy said...

Oh the joy? of living in a big city. I lived in Portland, Oregon for a year and I still remember the feeling of pride and independence I felt when I adventured off and my own to find new places. The first place I went?? Target :-) The only Walmart was 45 minutes away, it took me a few months to travel there on my own. Good luck. Maybe for Christmas you need a large backpack on wheels to help you tote things home.

Anonymous said...

What an adventure! You should invest in one of those folding wheeled carts to take shopping with you for groceries, etc. Also, my sister told me about ZipCar--a service where you can rent a car by the hour (http://www.zipcar.com/). You sign up for an account and there are zip cars stationed in parking lots around town. It sounded really great, and I know they have a franchise in NY.

Anonymous said...

Try taking a taxi back from the store. They are plentiful in the city.

R.

Vetmommy said...

Its not just shopping, its an adventure, complete with orienteering and cargo-hauling. Good thing you brought your book with you! I will remember how good I've got it next time I go to Tarzhay.