Monday, August 13, 2007

First Day

Yesterday I flew to New York with two suitcases, a carry-on and Sabrina in a pet carrier. I'm now a New Yorker! (Hence, I felt the blog needed a new look -- sorry, Hannah, for being a copy-cat. There are limited good designs.)


When I boarded the plane, it hit me: I'm leaving behind so many wonderful friends and will be much further from my family. I also felt guilty for giving Sabrina a sedative. (She didn't like how she felt or the pet carrier and was vocal about it. She kept doing flips and scratching at the zippered doors to get out.) I cried and cried, feeling very self-conscious with so many people around me. Everyone ignored me, though, which was kind of weird.


The flight seemed interminably long, mostly because I was so concerned about Sabrina. I kept the bag on my lap for most of the flight, and she would calm for short periods of time before flipping around again. The turbulence we experienced for 30-40 minutes was her least favorite.


After a long, but informative, cabby ride to Tribeca, I arrived at my apartment building and was met by the doorman, "Are you the one from Texas?" They were expecting me and the elevator guy (did I tell you there are elevator guys?!) helped me with my bags.

It was a beautiful day to arrive in NY. It was 85* and sunny, with low humidity. The sun was shining off the Hudson River, making the view from my apartment especially nice. I bought a few necessities for Sabrina and me -- cat litter, toilet paper, trash bags, paper towels and a shower curtain -- since we'll be camping out on an inflatable mattress until the furniture and my boxes arrive (probably Tuesday or Wednesday). Poor thing, she was still feeling the effects of the sedation and stumbled around our new, empty place like a drunk.

My cousin Kelley happens to be in NYC visiting a friend, and she was the first to get to see my new place last night. We had a nice dinner, chatting and catching up, and then watched the sun set at a park by the Hudson.

Today, I felt like a kid on the first day of school! I stopped by Starbucks for caffeine and breakfast, caught the 4 Train to Grand Central station, and walked to work. (I sold my motorcycle last Monday and my car on Saturday.) My coworkers are excited to have me in the office full-time, and I got a hug from my boss and one of the girls in my department. :-)

It's another beautiful day. Today, in addition to work, I'm hoping to open a bank account (my previous bank doesn't have offices in this part of the country!) and get the official Welcome from the apartment management, which will include a tour of the fitness facility and all the rules. I also have yet to find a grocery store! So many new things. It feels like more than just a new chapter in my life. It's like the first chapter in a new book.

4 comments:

get2eric said...

Sounds like a great start.
There's a Whole Foods on East Houston street at Union Square I think.
Hope the moggie is better by now.

Anonymous said...

After we hung up, as you were boarding the plane, I could have kicked myself for not saying what I was thinking -- wish I was there to give you a big farwell hug goodbye and reassure you that this is a good change in your life. Oh, and also that you are very loved by all!!!

Wow, a new book! Nice perspective!
Love you, M

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you last night! Your place is SO incredible!! Hopefully we'll get a chance to get together tomorrow too!

I'm happy your first official day at work went so well. It's still so cool to say that you're a Senior Vice President! Talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

Very exciting Em. Find Balduccis. Also the Dean and Deluca in Soho has great provisions. You are going to have some shopping adjustments going from giant box stores in TX to little boutique shops in Manhattan. That's going to be such a good part of the adventure. :) :) :) Poor Brinybeanie, I'm feeling your guilt about the sedative. I did that to my KIDS for a 4 hr flight with antihistamines and it backfired -- giving me wound up kids instead of sedated ones. Ugh.