Wednesday, August 22, 2007

One of Those Mornings

Nightmares and night sweats last night made it tough to drag myself out of bed this morning. Then I realize I'm out of breakfast bars. Phooey. I decide to stop at Starbuck's on my way in, but not the one by my apt. I'll catch the one near the office.

I'm hot leaving the building, and I get irritable when I'm hot. I notice other people wearing jackets, while I'm in a short sleeved top carrying my blazer. The subway is stuffy as usual, and I begin to sweat. There goes my makeup again!

I walk in the Starbuck's near work and find a really long line. Well, I'm already running 10 minutes late; might as well wait. There's a family of Italians trying to decipher the board and fortunately one employee is helping them. Everyone in the place seems to be shouting. I finally get to order my iced tea and breakfast, and the lady says they're out of that breakfast. (it's one of the few healthy choices, so I decline a pastry instead.) They place my large iced tea on the counter as I'm digging in my bag for money. The lady who's ringing me up knocks it over, spilling it towards me and my bag. [angry sigh]

I pick up a whole wheat bagel in the cafe downstairs. So, I asked for low-fat cream cheese and they gave me butter. It's still edible.

So many pushing, shoving, yelling people this morning. I almost feel like crying.

But! I have something to look forward to. One of my best friends from Dallas, Wendy, is coming into town tonight, and we are going to have dinner. I'm so hungry for a friendly face, and I'm very excited to show her my new place. I'm looking forward to just hugging her, but I don't want to let go.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you lost 6 pounds!!!! :)

Missing you a lot!

Hey, do you think you could get some perfume for me from my fav store and send it back to DFW with Wendy?

Anonymous said...

Oh,Emily...I would have gone back home and 'got up again' to start the day anew...interesting post,xx

Unknown said...

icky poo start. Hope the day gets better from there. course it could get better if I knew your SHOE SIZE eh hem!

get2eric said...

'I'm a native New Yorker,
You can tell I belong in this place,
I'm a native New Yorker
Now if all of you just get out of my face'

Vetmommy said...

We are all sending you cyber hugs!

Emily said...

I wear a size 9, like you!

Anonymous said...

Comment from Anna:

I love you and miss you, Auntie Emily. You are the best!
Love you, Anna

Unknown said...

9, really? I always thought you were smaller than me. okay. ;)

paula said...

I still want to come and kidnap you.

bjpollock said...

Just remember, Gilda Radnor created Roseanna Roseannadanna after moving to New York.
On days like this, you just gotta sharpen your elbows and dig into the crowd, so to speak.--Bev B.