Monday, August 27, 2007

More New Discoveries in NYC


Compared to my friends in Texas, we've had nice weather since I moved to NYC. Although the humidity does get to me, and the muggy air in the subways can be oppressive, I'm thankful to have missed the days of 100* in Dallas and Houston. One day as I was walking around my new neighborhood, I caught the reflection of clouds in this mirror-like building.






My cousin Rob was able to come visit me for the day on Saturday, getting a pass from West Point. It was so great to see him and to have someone to pal around with. I took him to a Mexican restaurant I've found for lunch, and he was thrilled with the almost-as-good-as-Texas taste. He then accompanied me on some errands. I wanted to go to the market at Union Square where I'd heard I could find house plants. The market was impressive, with everything from fresh fruits and vegetables to baked goods and artwork. I bought a couple plants and then realized I needed pots for them. One man suggested Home Depot, 6 blocks away.

Rob was impressed with the architecture of the building that houses Home Depot. It doesn't look like any Home Depot we were used to in Texas!




He was also as surprised and delighted with the cart escalator as I had been at Target last weekend. (This is the picture I took as discreetly as possible at Target.)













Last night, we had a pretty good sunset. I remember when my aunt Cinda lived away from Texas, telling me how much she missed the Texas sunsets. They are some of the best in the world, and I've been disappointed with the lack of color that most of the sunsets have in NYC. However, last night was a good one, and I was able to capture the nighttime view from my apartment. (For you, Jenn!)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I've seen great sunsets from JFK looking down towards Manhattan.
I am going to check the wheelchair deal next to the word verification thingy to see if that avenue is easier.

Anonymous said...

I sneaked a look too,Em..ok? :o)

paula said...

I loved the cloud picture, sooo cool and the nightime view from your apartment is beautiful.

Vetmommy said...

Four amazing pictures! The reflected clouds in the building is awesome! I wish our home depot looked so nice. The sunset view is just what I was hoping for.