Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Mr. Right vs Mr. Right Now

I've realized I'm getting tired of being alone. In the past, this has been a dangerous place for me to be, causing me to "settle" for less-than-great relationships. But at least now, I can recognize it for what it is (and not jump into a relationship that is less than what I deserve).

After a relationship, I really treasure being alone. I like not sharing the bed, not being woken by someone else's snoring or rolling over. I like not being snuggled to the point of smothering when it's hot summer time. I also like that my place stays more tidy. Things stay where I put them. And no one eats the best leftovers until I get to them.

But, eventually, I get to this point, where I really miss having someone to talk to, to share things with, and yes, even to cuddle. (It's been 18 months since I broke up with and moved out from my last boyfriend.)

I'm seeing a couple guys right now, but I don't think either one has the potential for more than casual dating. But at least they fill the void a little bit. What I'm wondering is, does keeping Mr. Right Now(s) around prevent Mr. Right from coming into my life?

[No word from the matchmaker service on my next date, however they did warn me that it may take awhile. I completely understood, agreeing that I'd rather they wait for a really good match for me than set me up with halfwits to give me a date.]

7 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Yes, singledom and coupledom have their drawbacks. Maybe Mr Right Now provides moderation? Still, would like you to find a nice guy, preferably one whose always wanted to move to Austin...

Unknown said...

In response to what you're wondering...I don't think dating these coupla guys will hinder your running into a person with better longterm potential. Happiness looks good on you. It will attract more happiness.

Martie said...

Stay single. It's the best thing you could ever do for yourself.

Anonymous said...

"What I'm wondering is, does keeping Mr. Right Now(s) around prevent Mr. Right from coming into my life?" The answer to that,Em, is a clear NO!... Have you ever gone out shopping and not looked around you then you hear someone shout your name? I predict that you will meet someone to care for when the time is right..I know that you think it's NOW but just stop 'looking' he will come I promise you (not long now)..remember your A.Norma is a white witch. :o) just keep smiling that lovely smile. A.Norma.x

Emily said...

LOL! Thanks for the great comments. Laughed out loud at Jenn's hope that my Mr. Right has always wanted to move to Austin and that my Auntie Norma is a white witch. :-)

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...Ya gotta believe ,Girl, then it will happen and then you wont' laugh at your A.Norma. will you? :o) I have done a lot of white witching lately,Em, and sometimes I surprise myself..I predicted Stafanie's baby was a girl remember? soooo, hang on in there and keep your head DOWN! ok? :o) A.Norma.xx

Anonymous said...

ooopss..please change the spelling in Stephanie :o( ta. A.Norma.x
Cannot reach it from here hahaha