Saturday, August 23, 2008

One is the Loneliest Number

I just finished watching Sex and the City for the second time. Since I bought the series a month ago, I've been enjoying watching the episodes all over again, laughing out loud at the witty lines, identifying with the characters and the dating successes and catastrophes that are so true to life, and crying at the touching moments.

I go to restaurants by myself...often. This is still surprising to some people, as I learned when I mentioned it to a friend last week and learned again as I entered a sushi restaurant on Friday night.

"Hi, just one. Can I sit at the sushi bar?"

"There's just one of you?" the hostess asked to confirm.

"Yep. Just the one of me."

Usually at a sushi bar, it's not as obvious to be alone as it can be at other restaurants. You have something to look at (the sushi chefs) besides the other patrons, and there's no glaringly empty chair across from you from which the place setting is removed as soon as your single ass sits down.

I've remarked before that I'd rather be lonely by myself than lonely in a relationship. I've been both, and at least lonely by yourself seems logical and there's a hope that the situation will change. In one of the goodbye tributes on Sex and the City, one of the producers mentions how it's possible in New York to be surrounded by millions of people and feel completely alone. I know that feeling all too well, too.

And when I watch the four friends of the fictional show get together over brunch and share their lives, it makes me miss my three friends back in Dallas -- Wendy, Lauren, and Sherry. Although none of us are as racy as the Sex and the City characters -- nor do we have such graphic discussions -- we are all unique in our own ways and yet share a closeness and history of being there for each other. I miss them terribly.

I still love living in the City. I enjoyed a beautiful day, taking a long bike ride along the Hudson River and finishing with a kayak excursion in the River. The sun was reflecting off the water like glittering diamonds, the waves were comforting and soothing, and the smell of the salt water was delightful. But I wish I had someone to share it with.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You made me laugh with single ass sitting comment. Oh, I really feel your loneliness, esp when I read your descriptions -- I can just see the sharpness of the light on the water, your healthy activities of the day causing you to really take in the air around you, and I wish you had a companion.

Anonymous said...

Emie...I wish you had someone to share meals with too. I know it can be so lonely in NYC and you are so much braver than me. I'm not sure I could have made that huge move!
.... I think that I need to come visit you again so people will mistake us for sisters. ;-)
"Table for two please!" haha

Love you,
Bevie

Vetmommy said...

Good title, good post.

Anonymous said...

I miss you, too.

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on your blog and this post made me cry. I think we can all empathize with loneliness in one way or another and I agree with you - when you are out of a relationship and it's just you, there is a feeling of hope (even tho some days it feels small) of finding someone.
I miss you so much, too. And, I disagree with your comment on our conversations not being very racey. They're, oddly enough, getting racier as we get older! Ha ha!! And it helps when we pour on some mambo taxis as well! Hope to see you soon.
Love you! wm