Monday, January 14, 2008

The Best-Laid Plans...

I recently read an online article from Redbook titled "This is what Adoption feels like." I do so want to have children someday, and as the clock keeps ticking along with no appropriate man in sight, I like to research my options.

I really enjoyed the author's intro to the article, where she writes, "I recently found an old diary from my teenage years, where I blithely wrote about my future, figuring I would get married around 28 and have children soon after." Isn't it sweetly naive how as children, we think just because we want something it will happen?

My niece Anna has recently been thinking about being a flower girl. As I am her one unmarried aunt, she has me in her plans. "Can I be your flower girl when you get married?" she asked me, unaware that I've been married before, before she was born.
Of course. "Well, when do you think you'll get married?" Ah, that's the question, isn't it?

Actually, I now wonder if I will get married again. There are many things I like about being on my own. Not that I wouldn't enjoy having a partner to share things with, but I'm trying to be content with whatever life hands me.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

n uyy u uiu lu555

That's what Ev k n6b k, kl n has to say about it.

It certainly wasn't part of my childhood plan to be the one who's a stay-at-home mom with three kids, but this is the hand I was dealt and I am surprised every day by how much I love this life, which I never dreamed would be mine.

As for husbands, your past is no predictor of your future as long as you don't make the same mistake thrice. It worked for Al! I would love to see you find someone who compliments you without consuming the you you have become on your own, ya know? But the best advice I got on marriage was "Honey don't worry if one morning you wake up and thing 'oh god, I have picked the wrong one' because they are basically all the same with different packaging" Crass but helpful!

Vetmommy said...

Learning to be content with what you have is a very valuable life skill!

Anonymous said...

I for one would like a Jaguar, but, I am very happy with my Cadillac.

Anonymous said...

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us"...Emerson I think

Anonymous said...

What great comments from all! Love you and continue to enjoy your journey.
Love, M

paula said...

You are such a wonderful, loving and special person, I know you will find your way in your own sweet time. Enjoy what you have now, even better things will come.

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily!
It's funny you mention Anna because when I was babysitting for them a few weeks ago she asked me the same question. Marriage is not looming on my horizon anytime soon, so I told Anna that she will most likely be my bridesmaid since I am not getting married anytime soon.

Love you so much and I support whatever decision you make.

Cousin Bevie

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I read "the best-laid plans." I remember looking down my nose at my high school classmates who were planning their wedding while I was looking at colleges. I thought I had it all together. I was going to finish college, THEN get married at 22, and start having kids at 25. Duh! Of course, I married at 25 and the kids thing... never happened. Life doesn't care what you plan; it has its own plan for you. :-)