Friday, August 05, 2005

Just my luck

My mom sent me a funny card this week. A girl is sitting alone on the beach, watching two hotties play volleyball. It says, "Why are all the best guys either married or gay?" The inside goes on to say, (paraphrasing), "or assholes? or slobs who leave toenail clippings around? or[something else completely undesirable]?"

(The card didn't really use profanity, but that word kinda sums up a lot of men that I've had the unfortunate opportunity to meet.)

A guy friend of mine, who reads my blog but is too chicken to leave a comment, remarked that I have the worst luck in men. It made me laugh, but it also made me feel really good to get that validation.

I was thinking this morning, it's been 14 months since I broke up with Rod. (I was going to come up with a witty, descriptive nickname for him, but I couldn't think of anything that would completely describe all the bullshit.) This is the longest I think I've ever gone without a boyfriend, and I don't say that in a sad, pity-me way because in many ways, it's been a very positive thing. I've gotten a lot stronger in who I am and what I want and know that I won't settle for less than I deserve.

By the way, I did get a marriage proposal this week. My gay boyfriend Daniel had to go home to Mexico this week to renew his visa or something and asked me half-joking, half-serious to marry him so he could get legal status in the States. I just laughed and said "can you imagine what my parents would say/think?" Ha ha ha!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, I think I could challenge you for the title holder of "Most Utterly Appalling Luck with Men."

Maybe you're the States' champion, and I'm the UK's?!

Either way, it doesn't look good, does it.. Just bear in mind that, across the pond, your kindred spirit is fighting her losing battle too!

Urban Chick said...

i say: marry daniel!! it's the only path to true happiness

Vetmommy said...

Yes, I was thinking the other day about how women almost always leave a relationship for another guy... then thought of you, and how you left Rod, not for better prospects or romantic illusions, but because you knew you wouldn't ultimately be happy with him, and that it was better to stand on your own, which you have been doing beautifully for quite a while now.

Was that the longest complex sentence ever in a comments section?

I want to hear potential epithets for Rong- I mean Rod.

Anonymous said...

I left a very witty comment two days ago but I guess I forgot to press 'publish your comment' 'cos it's not here now.
Anyway, at that time I was willing to be Zaruthrian about naming Rod, but now, with Dr Jenn's urging, I go for NotRod.