Monday, August 22, 2005

New beginnings for Annie

On Sunday, I helped my goddaughter Annie move into her college dorm for her freshman year at North Texas University. She's excited and apprehensive about all the new things she'll be experiencing. The dorm is nice but no frills. Annie has always had her own room, so cramming all her stuff into half a room was a challenge, but it looked good when we left.

On one of the many trips up to the second floor of the dormitory, Annie met her Resident Advisor. On another trip, the RA stopped me and said, "I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name." I just smiled and said "Don't worry about it. I'm not moving in -- it's my goddaughter!"

Several upperclassmen were volunteering to help the freshmen move their boxes and stuff into the dorms. It was great because both of Annie's parents have back problems at the moment. (Her dad has had a bad back for years, and her mom -- my BF -- fell last week and bruised her shoulder blade and back.) I was expecting to do most of the heavy lifting myself, but there were lots of young people ready and willing to help.

To move her television, BF and I enlisted the help of a young guy with a nametag of Todd. He started asking me lots of questions, and I got the idea that he thought I was moving in. When I said, "I'm not the one moving in. I graduated from college 11 years ago." his eyebrows shot up and he said, "Wow. You carry your age well!"

Ha ha ha! I think that's a combination of "you carry yourself well" and "you age well" or something.

BF wouldn't even laugh about it. She gets annoyed that people think I'm younger than I am. But I thought it was pretty cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would have made my day!! I love it when I still get carded... except for when they remind me that they have to card everyone who looks 35 or younger.

Anonymous said...

That's a great compliment!I bet the guy was a little embarrassed.=) -Bevie-