Friday, August 26, 2005

Learning to Trust Myself Again

A few weeks ago, I wrote about a visit to my local dance club in Weekend Report. I mentioned a gorgeous guy that I talked to briefly, who ended up with a table of girls.

I saw him again last Friday. Still breathtakingly cute. He smiled sheepishly and said I must be mad at him (for ditching me last time). I said no, not mad, just a little disappointed. Well, this time he wasn't letting me get away. We talked for a couple hours and had a nice conversation. I told him I was expecting my gay boyfriend to show up with his mom. He kinda raised his eyebrow at that but went on to say how he doesn't judge others and understands how women feel safe with gay guys.

When said gay boyfriend arrived, I introduced them briefly and left Mr. Gorgeous to help the family (mom, aunt, friend and brother were all there) find a table. When I came back to Gorgeous, he vehemently said, "I'm not shaking that guy's hand!" This was really out-of-the-blue, because he wasn't anywhere around at the time. I reassured him that gayness "doesn't rub off" and reminded him that this guy, in addition to being a good friend of mine, was a human being just like us. Gorgeous-now-looking-less-so went on to explain that he doesn't condone that kind of behavior. So, it's getting uncomfortable at this point, and we change the subject as I'm thinking how much I've learned about him with this outburst.

Equally out-of-the-blue, he says,

"Do you want to go get naked?"

Laughing out loud, I reply, "No, not really!"

If this is his pick-up line, he needs to work on it.

With two divorces under my belt, I sometimes doubt my ability to choose wisely when it comes to men and relationships. But I think God is sending me some easy pitches to regain my confidence. This one was easy. Thanks, up there!

Addendum in response to an anonymous post: I meant to write and post this earlier in the week, but this week has been incredibly hectic for me. I apologize for making you wait for the story!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how come it took from last Friday until today for us to hear about this?

If I were your God, I would make you learn your lessons faster.........and tell us NOW!

Unknown said...

Heavens above. It takes all sorts, doesn't it?! I'm all for there being some sort of tagging/branding system - at least that way, us single gals would have some sort of chance of weeding out the weirdos.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...

"Wanna get naked?" never worked for me either. Don't feel bad. :)

Funny how it works QUICKLY if a girl says it...

Debi said...

Wow...what a loon, at least you found out about this guyz crapola behavior before you actually went out with him and stuff.

Vetmommy said...

Yes, I can totally see how the idea of a gay guy fully clothed taking care of his mother is totally offensive. But if you are heterosexual, please, immediately after meeting someone of the opposite sex, take off your clothes and fornicate as soon as possible.

And, that's why Texas needs to pass the constitutional amendment BANNING these gay people from marriage, because clearly they are threatening the family that heterosexuals work so hard to achieve!

(Sorry for the political slant. All Texans please vote in November)

Anonymous said...

Oh geez! What a loser! I think this is a way the higher power is trying to help you out! Whenever I meet a new guy I always find a way to slip in the fact that I have a gay boyfriend just to see how they'll react. I feel just as strongly as Jenn does (way to put it girl!) and won't put up with any type bias against one of my best friends!

Unknown said...

Okay, have to give you a little anecdote...

My little buddy says to me tonight, in a ploy to get a kiss, "Boo boo on my mouth, Mommy. Kiss it all better?"

Worked like a charm.