Wednesday, March 31, 2010

If at first you don't succeed...

...try, try, try again. Or so the saying goes.

But sometimes, you really are better off giving up. Or calling it quits.

With two divorces under my belt, I'm afraid that maybe I give up too easily. Or at least it appears that way. To counteract that, sometimes I try too hard to make a bad relationship work. One example of this is my relationship with the Green-Eyed Dutchman.

I wrote last summer about how we met 12 years ago as well as how our relationship changed from friends to more 10 years ago and his visit last May. And then as we were talking about me moving over there, he disappeared on me. But I got sucked back in, after my friend and his friend passed away in November and we shared our grief. I visited GED for New Years and thought maybe it was finally the right time for us.

And then he disappears again. No contact. No replies to my emails or text messages. FOR TWO MONTHS.

I'm angry with him, but more angry with myself. You know, "First time, shame on you. Second time, shame on me." Third time? I'm just an idiot, hopeless romantic.

But I thought maybe this was my chance at Love. And I believed him when he said it would be different.

I did finally hear from him, and we had a brief telephone conversation. He apologized and said his world had gotten busy/stressful/crazy. He asked how I was. I was pleased that I was able to maintain my composure and told him his silence had devastated me but I was over it, moving on. (And I was pleased that this was true, not just words.) I was able to tell him that I wished he had had the balls to tell me how he felt about me, but from his actions, it was perfectly clear how [not] important I was. He denied that his actions reflected his feelings for me, but I reminded him it was him who told me, during my trip there in January, that he was the type of guy that didn't tell his feelings as much as demonstrate them through his actions.

He had called in the middle of my workday. The time zones is always a challenge, so he asked if he could call me on the weekend and explain more fully. That was two weeks ago. Still haven't heard that explanation, not that it matters at this point.

10 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Sorry about that crappy ending. Cowardice in those we love/admire sucks.

Unknown said...

It's exhausting - trying to not be jaded from what the universe has already delivered to us, and still wanting to find someone you can put a little faith into. How's that fairy tale about the knight on a white horse go? Okay, apparently the knight shares a house with Santa. But, it would be nice to do better than the back end of that horse once in a while. :)

Disclaimer: neither myself, my gender or my political party are excused from their own bad behavior.

Julie said...

Aw Emily I'm so sorry. Its so hard when you put that effort in and you believe in something.

A friend sent me this and I believe it http://fashionlayne.blogspot.com/2010/01/luckiest.html

In the meantime we can try to enjoy ourselves and of course get stories for our memoirs :)
x

Anonymous said...

Drop him like a hot brick,my lovely Em.! leave him where he belongs in Am....you don't need to waste time on losers anymore..you are a lovely,young Woman and I just know that you WILL find 'the One' in due course who will give you the love and respect (which no relationship is any good without) that you certainly deserve..ok maybe I am biased and far away..but I can smell a 'kidder' and a 'user' here! sorry for being so 'spade is a spade'like' :( xx


Aunty Norma.

get2eric said...

Sorry. Wish things would go better for you.

Shimmed said...

I'd imagine he thought better of calling again for a more complete explanation. It would be "beating a dead horse" so to speak.

Emily said...

Vetmommy: Very true.

Traci N: Yes, it's hard not to get jaded and remain open to possibilities. Love your comment about the back end of the horse!

Julie: The bad stories are good for blog fodder and hopefully teaching us something along the way, whether that's discernment or how NOT to be treated.

Aunty Norma: Thanks. I'm definitely done with this one.

get2eric/Daddy: Thank you. That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right?

Shimmed: Maybe so. But it's also one more instance of him not keeping his word.

jman said...

The issue isn't his cowardice or whatever emotional mess he finds himself in. The real issueis that he is careless with your feelings. And that my dear Emily is unforgiveable!

Not everyone is like that and hopefully you will meet someone who is of such delicacy and refinement that your feelings will be his crown jewels. In the meantime, to quote Coach Valvano, "don't give up. Don't ever give up!"

Emily said...

jman: I agree. Life goes on!

Anonymous said...

Oooh,how I agree with Jman (again) I NEVER say never..always be POSITIVE and (am singing this one) "Always look on the bright side of life"..which I know YOU do,Em. xx


A.Norma.