Tuesday, June 02, 2009

An Amazing Visit

When it rains, it pours, the saying goes. And it certainly has been an unusual week for me.

Just days after Aloha Guy left, I got another visitor. This one had been planned for some time, but I didn't want to write about it beforehand. I wanted to see how it would go first.

Nearly nine years ago, I had a relationship with a guy from Holland. I fell madly in love with this Green-Eyed Dutchman, but he ended up breaking my heart. Of course, now I can understand why he chose what he did at the time (he had a daughter and decided to try to make it work with her mother), but it was a terrible time for me when it ended. Over the last nine years, we've kept in touch sporadically, an occasional phone call or email every couple years or so. But each of us has been going through various relationships, and when he got in touch with me a few months ago, it was the first time we were both unattached and single at the same time. 


We both were curious to see if there were any feelings still left between us, and agreed we should see each other. He now lives in Barcelona, and neither of us had been to the other's city before. We decided he should come to NYC because as a European he has much more vacation time than I do, the flights were cheaper coming this way then the reverse, and I felt he owed me after the ending nine years ago.


For the past four days, I've been playing tour guide, and we saw all the famous sites including Times Square, Central Park, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue, Grand Central, the United Nations building, the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge, Little Italy, Soho and the West Village. It was so easy to be with the Green-Eyed Dutchman again, and exciting, too. There are definitely strong feelings between us, but neither one of us is ready to make a decision about what to do next.


He told me I look great (so glad I've been losing weight and training for the tri!) and that I seem like a stronger person now, not just physically but emotionally too. He looks older, but not much different than before, and he seems wiser and more grounded than years ago. We talked about everything and nothing. He annoyed me with the way he loves to pick fights about different things, but we also had some great laughs, comfortable silences, and romantic evenings. I cried to see him go, but I'm hopeful to see him in a few months or so with him playing tour guide in Barcelona.

12 comments:

jman said...

So one guy 3000 miles to the west and another 4000 miles to the east. I am buying stock in the airlines! Seriously, what's up with the courting of ldr's? In my experience, the only time we are in control in terms of a relationship is at the beginning.

jman said...

One other question which occurred to me - do your various beau know of this blog? Might make for interesting reading on their part!

Vetmommy said...

Oh, I LOVE Barcelona! It is very romantic, too. You'll have a great time there.

Yes, v. interesting with your dueling, opposite-continent suitors. I agree w/GED - you are a stronger person physically and emotionally now. I'm glad he appreciates that.

Irish Parisienne said...

Oooh this is an interesting development!

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for the next installment!!! wheeeeee!


Aunty Norma.x

lindsey said...

I think you need to post a picture without sunglasses if you're going to call him the green eyed dutchman. :)

Emily said...

jman - what's "ldr's?" As to the blog, I try to keep beaus away from it, but DGE has known about it for some time and reads occasionally.

lindsey - I'll look for a picture without sunglasses...I think most of the ones I took were outside in the sun!

Emily said...

Vetmommy - thanks! :-)

Irish Parisienne - yes, interesting, and also puzzling. I'm struggling with what to do with these feelings, if anything.

Aunty Norma - yes, I'm looking forward to the next installment, too! I have no idea what that will be.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing jman means long distance relationships.

jman said...

Anonymous wins the decoding ring. I'll try not to be so lazy in future and spell things out!

Anonymous said...

I am very curious how things will develop. Aloha guy sounds a very nice and interesting person to me aswell...guess you should listen to your heart and instincts. Got a pretty good feeling that GED will do the same and yes, would like to see those green eyes aswell ;) One more thing...Distance does not have to be a barrier more likely a challenge....

Anonymous said...

...HE LOOKS NICE! cannot think of a nicer word,Em. to me 'NICE' covers a kind face,a kind Heart and hey! he is good looking. :)keep a tight hold of him,Sweetheart. xx

Aunty Norma.