Thursday, March 04, 2010

Cyber Stalking

Text messaging, Facebook, emails...there are more ways to reach out to people, for good or bad purposes. Fortunately, there are also many ways to block people, but occasionally, some slimy messages get through.

Years ago, my best girlfriends at work and I would go to lunch often. (Ah, the good ol' days when I didn't eat at my desk...) Sometimes, one of the guys -- a married father -- would tag along, laughing at our jokes, but he wasn't really a part of our estrogen-bonded circle. Every now and then, I would get a strange vibe from him, but for the most part, he seemed harmless. A nice, if awkward, guy.

Years passed, and we all moved on to other jobs and other friends. I kept in touch with the girls, and at a lunch get-together, one friend mentioned she had heard from the man, who was getting a divorce. We all commented how that was too bad and the conversation moved on to other topics.

Soon after, the two of us singleton gals started getting emails from the guy. Creepy emails. It seemed he was interested in rekindling the friendship and whatever else might spark. Ew. Neither of us was interested.

Then the Facebook stalking started. He would send friend requests with odd messages of random topics. They sounded like he was picking up in the middle of a conversation. I didn't want to encourage anything and decided to block him on Facebook. And I told the one girl who was in touch with him not to give out my info.

This week, the other singleton in our group -- who is in a committed relationship -- got the strangest email from Creepy Dude. I had to share...it's so bizarre.

The email's subject is "Mole."

And the message says: "lady recently cut my hair. she had a big 'ol mole on her lip. i couldn't help but think of the scene where Austin Powers could not stop looking at the mole's mole."

SO WEIRD! Does he seriously think this is the best way to start up a conversation with someone that he hasn't even exchanged emails with in over a year?

I laughed out loud when I read it, and then thanked my lucky stars it wasn't sent to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

!!! Duh? the poor man needs attention,Em. men in white coats comes to mind. :)


A.Norma.x

Vetmommy said...

Sad, and creepy.