Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Not that Kind of Girl

My office is generally business casual, and [nice] jeans are acceptable. I love jeans, so this works really well for me. But yesterday, I had a client presentation, so I wore a black pencil skirt with my black boots and a cardigan. Unfortunately, about an hour before my presentation, I got a run in my hose. Grrr. Hose aren't my favorite thing, but it's still chilly here in NYC and I needed to look presentable. I don't think anyone noticed during my presentation -- it was less noticeable when I was standing and I'm sure they were blown away by my impressive knowledge and speaking abilities. Ha!

Afterward, one woman pulled me aside and asked me a few questions. And her last question was, "How do you get to be a senior vice president in your twenties?" I thanked her and politely corrected her.

Later, in a meeting with some colleagues, I was sitting with my legs crossed and the run in my hose was more obvious. They teased me that maybe I did it on purpose. Can you imagine? No, I told them, I'm not that kind of girl. I'm pretty conservative in my clothes and appearance. It's important to me to look professional. In fact, since I started my career, I've always looked younger and have struggled against people's perceptions that I'm "too young" and don't know what I'm talking about. Most of the time, I love looking younger than late-30-something. But in the workplace, it's not always an asset.

7 comments:

Irish Parisienne said...

Yep I have the same problem, not that we should regard it as a problem. I have to dress up for work at university or I'll just blend with the students!

Anonymous said...

It is nice though isn't it ,Emily, me at 76 (nearly) am taken for about 50/55 in fact I think I'll send you a piccy of me hahahaha and I have NEVER coloured my hair!


Aunty Norma.xx :)

Emily said...

Irish Parisienne: It is usually a good problem to have!

Aunty Norma: So glad to have the good genes on both sides of my family! But I do color my hair. :-)

Vetmommy said...

Why would anyone purposefully put a run in their hose? Unless its for a scary Halloween costume?

jman said...

You could have appealed to your English heritage and told them you were trying to move up the ladder. Aunty Norma can explain it to you if I am too obscure (with my sense of humor it won't be the first time!).

People often accuse me of being younger than I actually am, but that has generally been a commentary on my behavior and not my looks. At halloween people often guess I am dressed as the picture in Dorian Gray's attic. And that's at work! but seriously folks.

Emily said...

Vetmommy: I think it's part of the grunge look. I do see it here around NYC, but I don't think it would work for me.

jman: Behavior can make you seem young, but that's not always a compliment, is it?

Anonymous said...

I believe very strongly in being oneself..I like the 'natural look' and have always UNDER dressed rather than OVER dressed..now Jman read that right won't you? :)
hahahaha

A.Norma.x