Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Another Internet Dating Story

So a fellow singleton colleague of mine who recently moved to NYC recently went on a date with a guy she met through eHarmony (been there, done that). She said they had had several good phone conversations and agreed to meet. Before the meeting, she had a business trip which took her to Vancouver during the Olympic games. New-to-NY (N2NY) texted him a picture of the Olympic flame, and he made an off-color remark saying he wished she had sent a picture of her in lingerie instead, "just kidding." Kidding or not, the remark was overly flirtatious and not respectful of their new acquaintance. Thinking of his other positive qualities, N2NY went to meet him and hoped for the best.

So how did it go? She sat down with wide eyes to give me the scoop today. Apparently, after some time with conversation covering each of their respective occupations, he admitted, "Well, you're a very intimidating and powerful woman."

N2NY said, "I prefer confident." But he reiterated that he was intimidated by her in a way that wasn't a compliment but rather more of an excuse for him. But the final straw? He made another reference to lingerie. N2NY was outta there!

I've had men tell me I'm intimidating before. Usually when they can't perform up to task, so to speak.

5 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I am sorry there are so many dweebs on the dating scene in NYC!

jman said...

Now your friend is probably wondering about herself if eharmony with its 42 different matrices matched her with a knucklehead. Or at least someone with the apparent maturity level of a 13 year old. Amazing what passes, or perhaps I should say masquerades, for charm these days. I am sure there were an infinite riffs on flames and hotness one could have cornballed with without offending, I am afraid lingerie wasn't one of them.

PS You switched topics too quickly so I didn't have a chance to make a comment about how I was hoping we would have got some lingerie photos the other day instead of Central Park in the snow.

Emily said...

Vetmommy: Me too!

jman: Oh, your witty comments make me laugh. Thanks for that.

Unknown said...

I feel sorry sometimes but I have had this wonderful dating experience which might be quite surprising for many people who read this.
Go to this website that focuses on love, friendship. dating, sign up, and start looking for your perfect match with a real-time chat facility

persian match online

Lisa said...

I have also been told I am intimidating. And, in more that one circumstance I take that to mean, "hey, please try to ignore that your gut is telling you I am really a slime and have no character".

Men, they think they are so clever.