Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Successful Surgery

Annie did great in her surgery yesterday!

I got to the hospital just as the surgeon was coming out to tell us how well she did. Janet (her mom) had asked him to take digital pictures of the spleen, (she's fascinated with medical stuff like me), and it was absolutely HUGE! (about the size of a volleyball, when it's supposed to be about a golf or tennis ball)

The surgeon said she had very little blood loss. Fortunately, the spleen had not ruptured. It's a very vascular organ. Rupturing would have meant a lot of blood loss and clean up in the abdomen. He was able to fold it and pull it through the incision, about 4 inches vertically that begins just below her sternum.

We got to see her a couple hours later after she came out of recovery. She looks great and insisted on getting up to go to the bathroom! The nurses were all impressed that she was getting up so quickly.

The doctor originally estimated she would be in the hospital until Friday, but he said she did so well, she may be released on Wednesday.

I'm so glad I saw her -- it really eased my mind. I also got to meet her new boyfriend, Anthony, and he's a sweetheart. He told her she looked beautiful right out of surgery. He's cute, too. I think he looks a lot like Tom Cruise.

Thanks for all the prayers!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! What a relief to know the surgery went so well! AND, how wonderful that she's ALREADY moving around!!!!!! I still can't fathom a spleen(notice I used the CORRECT spelling today) the size of a VOLLEYBALL- I mean how does the body handle that?!? That's pretty intriguing how the doc. did the procedure....

Well,I know you and her family are all relieved to have this stressful situation over with...

And, I can't forget to mention the boyfriend- cute and caring...best combo! Annie's very lucky.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO!

Vetmommy said...

I can't believe I didn't read about this until it was all over! I'm glad surgery went well and that the surgeon did a good job.

Good for Janet for wanting a pic - I would have, too. If I'd had a c-section, I told Anth he had to video all my insides because I'd love to see what they look like!

Unknown said...

A volleyball? Yikes. Oh, I'm so glad that surgery is behind her. Sounds like she's being a real trooper, and the bf gets points for the sweet comments!

I'm all for seeing stuff, too. When I gave birth to P&G, you know what came next...the double placenta was HUGE and incredibly blood rich. I was so proud that my body made that.

Anonymous said...

So very glad that she is doing well.

After my c-section I remember through all my drug befuddled craziness asking if the placenta looked good!!!??? I felt so very proud when the surgeon said "yes it looks great". Bizarre.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that Annie is OK. That's amazing - volleyball size! Please give my best to Annie, Janet and Ed. Modern medicine is truly amazing.
Miss you! Love, M