Monday, May 29, 2006

Moving Sucks

Long holiday weekend: perfect for remembering the soldiers who have fought and died for our way of life, cookouts and pool time, getting together with friends and/or family, and... moving?

Fortunately, we had a long weekend to move all my stuff to Steve's house. Unfortunately, we didn't get to relax and enjoy the weekend.

I took Friday off from work to pack everything. I'm always amazed at how much STUFF I have. It took a solid 8 hours. Before embarking on that task, though, I doubled the size of my backyard garden to accommodate the plants from the old place. Steve met me at the house after work, and we packed up both our cars with boxes and pictures and then raided the garden for the substantial tomato and basil plants. As soon as we got home, we planted them and hoped for the best. Then we unloaded our cars and limped into the house.

Saturday morning came much too soon, and my back was still considerably sore from the previous day. My ever-frugal boyfriend convinced me we could move everything ourselves and discouraged me from hiring a moving company. We rented a truck from U-Haul (their largest), as well as hand-trucks or dollies.

Steve did impress me with his ability to navigate the larger pieces with the dollies. But I made him PROMISE me that if we get any more furiture, he'll let me hire a moving company the next time we move. He [reluctantly] agreed.

We got it all the furniture and most of the boxes here on Saturday. On Sunday, we returned to do a cursory cleaning and pick up the remaining boxes and what-not, which still took a couple trips with both our cars.

So it's all here, but it's not organized. The chaos drives me crazy, but my body is too worn out to do much at this point. I'm looking forward to my massage appointment this afternoon. And at least we got our new king-sized mattress on Thursday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh Em, that story reminds me sooo much of Richard and myself and our many house moves. I detest moving it seems to take forever to feel organised again, and that stage where you haven't quite unpacked everything and just can't find stuff ...Arrrgh!!!! Anyway, am sure you will get it all sorted out v soon, and it is very exciting for you both after all. Good luck and lots of love to you both in your "new" home. XXXX

Vetmommy said...

I hate moving too. I also hate moving when its hot. You got both!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh,well at least you did it! now you can take your time arranging things..no rush! I do hope your plants (especially the tomatoes) are alright..give them plenty of water :o)...have a nice life together in your new home,Em. xxx

Anonymous said...

I definitely feel for ya Em! I HATE moving! You honestly have no idea how much stuff you have until you have to move it! I always tell myself that I don't have that much stuff, but then I always wonder where it all came from once I start packing!

Debi said...

Next time hiring a mover...most of the time a local move is on an hourly rate with a two hour minimum. The cost of the mover is ALWAYS cheaper by the time you rent the truck, dollies, pads etc, and put in fuel. Trust me..that's what I do for a living...next time e-mail me and I will give ya tips ;)