Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Other Person's Children

A couple years ago, my mom made an observation to me that given my age and the fact that I want to date men who are age appropriate, it was very likely that a potential mate would have kids from a previous relationship. I agreed that it was likely, and I wondered what that would be like. I've always been predisposed to love children and have often thought of adopting or foster parenting. But this would be different.

My relationship with Steve (prior to using code names on the blog) was my first experience with that. Unfortunately, his relationship with his ex was strained -- to put it mildly -- and he rarely saw his kids who lived with their mom in a neighboring state. The kids were 10 and 12; one struggling with behavioral challenges and the other with puberty. And both were still reeling from the divorce and not prepared to see their dad with someone else. While not the deciding factor in my calling it quits, the situation and tension with the ex put additional strain on our relationship.

With Fly Boy and his girlios, it's completely different. For one, he and his ex have a relationship based on friendship and agree on how they are raising the kids. He has the girls 50% of the time, not just sporadic weekends, and the girls are very secure in both their parent's love. They have seen their dad date before, and they have embraced me. They are younger and have also had a couple years to come to terms with their parents not being together, and they are well-behaved, sweet children. So while it is mind-blowing to go from spending my time as 1 to 1+1+3, it is a happy chaos.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A nice post,Emily..when I read 'the children are sweet' etc. I had to smile thinking to myself that every child has a streak of 'devilment' in them :) you have just not found it yet. :) It sounds very much like you are on a winning streak with this chappie..he sounds sensible in the way he has handled his affairs with his little Family which is VERY commendable indeed nowadays.. and you have met them 'full on' so to speak.So I look forward to your next posting ..:)


A.Norma.xx

Unknown said...

This post sounds defensive, or at best pre-emptive. Say it isn't so? I hope people butt out and decide judging you isn't fruitful. As you state it (or was that our mother?), this development was highly likely for lovebirds of your eh-hem something age bracket, and, well, what a great deal that you've fallen for someone who seems to have a healthy relationship with his girls and ex-wife?!?! I've always seen it as a positive part of you that you are so loving, especially to small(er) people.

paula said...

They sound like lovely children Em, so great that you are getting to have such fun family time together XXXX

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love that romance (and work and settling in, etc) is keeping you busy, but we miss you Emily. Give us an update, please. Your family, friends, and fans await.
Ahhh, it must be difficult to keep the adoring crowds appeased ;)

Emily said...

Auntie Norma: Thanks, and sorry for the silence!

EdamameMommy: There's always SOME naysayers, but I didn't mean to sound defensive. Thank you for the supportive words!

Paula: I'm enjoying them!