Saturday, October 03, 2009

Snug Harbor

Aloha Guy left today. We had a great time, and I was sad to see him go.



We both took off a couple days from work to do some sightseeing. Aloha Guy said he wanted to do something in or around NYC that I had never done before. He brought his camera, a nice Nikon, and took some great pictures of me. (I don't usually like many pictures of me, but he captured some really nice ones.)



I had done some research before hand and found out about a beautiful park on Staten Island called Snug Harbor. It was originally created as a retirement haven for sailors in 1801. There are many galleries and gardens, and I specifically wanted to see the Chinese Scholar's Garden, modeled after traditional gardens in China.


The gardens must be fantastic in the summer, when everything is in bloom. But the nice thing about going on a crisp fall day during the work week is that we had the place to ourselves! We enjoyed exploring the gardens, the ponds and visiting the koi fish. When I sat by the koi pond, the fish swam toward me, obviously hoping for food. I couldn't resist teasing them with my finger to see what they would do. The biggest fish lifted his head out of the water and tried to bite my finger! Aloha Guy caught the moment perfectly.

3 comments:

jman said...

Great photo of you on the ferry. Some other places good to venture to not too far from NYC are Cold Spring and West Point (although you may have already been to the latter given your nephew is there). And the Storm King Art Center with its sculpture park. Fall is a good time to go.

Unknown said...

You look hot (in a vavavoom way) and happy and something intangible is different. Something good, sister...what is it?

Vetmommy said...

That is a great picture of you with the fish. All of them are flattering! I can't get over the fact that you are wearing a jacket AND pashmina. At least its not 100+ here.