Saturday, October 10, 2009

Travel on the Horizon

My friend NM and I are beginning to establish a regular habit of getting together on Friday nights. We meet at happy hour after work, and swap stories over dinner and drinks. Last night, we had two weeks to catch up on, and we ended up effortlessly spending five hours together.

In the week I missed, her mother had a heart attack. She's doing well after quick hospital intervention and the placement of a stent, but NM was understandably shaken. She had been looking forward to a vacation to Paris with a girlfriend, who dropped out at the last minute, but now the timing seems fortuitous. The girl agreed to cover the change fee to move NM's flight reservation until the spring, but obviously, NM doesn't have any confidence that the girl will accompany her in the spring either and personally doesn't want to leave her mom at this time. When she mentioned her disappointment with her friend bailing, I jumped at the chance -- I've never been to Paris, thinking I'd wait until I had a romantic partner to go with, and have been envious of NM's descriptions of the city (she's been many times before). She was delighted, and we toasted to our upcoming trip!

For my part, I had to catch her up on Aloha Guy's visit. Despite the circumstances, I find myself missing him more than I should. The facts remain: he lives on the opposite side of the country, he's recently divorced, he won't move because of his children, and the only way this relationship could possibly work is if I moved (and I'm finally starting to feel settled here). And despite the fact that when he was here, I realized that although this is my real life and isn't his -- he's on vacation, away from his normal routine and responsibilities -- I must admit that no one has ever treated me as well as he does. And as much as I protest that I'm independent and don't NEED anyone, it's really nice to be treated so respectfully. I must admit I like it!

I'm trying to hold on to my rational, logical mind over my romantic tendencies.

I have plans to meet him next week in Orlando. Aloha Guy has a business trip and invited me to join him at the fantastic resort he's staying at. My job is to visit the spa and check out the pools, and accompany him in his off-time to Epcot. I'm looking forward to it for many reasons, including getting out of the city for a long weekend. And after this, I don't know when I'll see him again. Well, it will at least give me time to adjust to being independent again.

5 comments:

Vetmommy said...

So glad you have found such a nice friend! Still reeling over the CM incident for you.

Irish Parisienne said...

Paris??!?!? Do I hear bloggers cocktails in the city of light upcoming? When are you coming!

Anonymous said...

Emily, please tell your nice girl friend that I too had a stent placed just 90 cmts from my Heart 4 years ago and as soon as it was in place they showed me the X-Ray of where it is..and I immediately recovered! her Mum will be fine now.


A.Norma.xx

Anonymous said...

Ooops.(red faced) sorry,Emily, I made a booby..it was the Artery near to my Heart that was CLOSED 90cms! anyway I still wish your Friends Mum good wishes. x


A.Norma.

Emily said...

Vetmommy - Yes, I'm very glad to have such a great friend! I'm pretty much over CM, although it probably will make me less trusting of new men.

Irish Paisienne - Hope we get to see you there before you move!

A. Norma - No worries, we're just glad you're doing better!