Monday, October 19, 2009

Celebrate Today

You know the saying, "when the cat's away, the mice will play" -- well, I've been away from my cat, playing with the mice! Mickey Mouse and crew in Orlando. I was in Orlando for a long weekend, and it was everything I had hoped and then some.

I arrived late on Thursday night, leaving behind freakishly cold and rainy weather in NYC for balmy Orlando. Although I naturally arrived completely overdressed, I quickly shed my overcoat, blazer and scarf. Aloha Guy picked me up at the airport and off we went to the fabulous Marriott resort hotel. It was amazing, made more so by his thoughtfulness. He brought my favorite wine from California (Benziger Cabernet from Sonoma) and ordered chocolate covered strawberries.

Friday was work for AG, spa treatments for me. We had breakfast together and the waitress remarked that he looked like he was there for work but I was obviously on vacation, dressed in a brightly colored sarong over my bathing suit. After a massage, facial, manicure and pedicure, I felt like a new woman. I sauntered over to the restaurant/bar overlooking the main pool and ordered a Bloody Mary AND GOT CARDED. I laughed, and the waitress replied in all seriousness, "I have to card anyone who looks like they're under 30."

I lounged by the pool, under an umbrella to protect my fair skin, and read my book -- a new one by Jodi Piccoult, my favorite author. (Fabulous) I knew AG would join me when he finished his work, but he decided to startle me and scared the bejeezus out of me. We swam and tried the pool's slide and stood under the waterfall. When we decided a beer sounded good, I offered to walk inside to grab them. I put on my flip flops, a towel and grabbed my credit card. And I came back empty-handed. Yep, carded again. AG laughed heartily.

Saturday morning, I slept in while AG finished his conference. We went to Epcot that afternoon, and their tagline was "Celebrate Today." There was a Wine & Food festival going on, and we had a blast eating and drinking our way through the different countries' specialties at the park. The tastings were small, and we split most things, so we weren't overly stuffed or drunk. Plus, we were there for seven hours. We rode two rides, but I got a little queasy from one. Oh, and I got carded two more times! I think I like Orlando. :-)

On Sunday, we hit the outlet mall before heading to the airport, and I'm thrilled to say I bought some new pants IN A SIZE 8! I haven't worn an 8 since 2002 when I did Atkins, and I never thought I'd be here again. But my 10's have been falling off me, so I really needed new pants.

I had so much fun. AG and I laughed until I was crying, and he was consistently considerate and thoughtful. If only he didn't live on the opposite side of the country,...

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Hooray for being carded! Hey, maybe we can share pants now!

Emily said...

Ha! Well, you're much shorter than me, big sis. My pants would probably drag on you and yours would be a bit high on me, but it's a nice thought! :-)

jman said...

Looking good Emily! And not wishing to rain on your parade but how old was your server? There's a lot of old people down there in FL and to them everyone looks young! (Just teasing). On a more serious note, glad you had a relaxing and fun time but my warning to you is to remember that the only time we are in control is at the beginning. After that your emotions take over. Welcome back to the real world.