Monday, August 03, 2009

Apartment Hunting

Looked for apartments all weekend. Ugh. It's exhausting.

Although I have a very nice apartment now -- complete with good square footage, washer & dryer in apartment, doormen, and a great view -- the management company wants to raise the rent (again) and the construction noise from Ground Zero is still annoying from 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. (They do not have to abide by the noise ordinance for NYC because technically the property is owned by Port Authority.) Plus, many places in Manhattan are making great deals. Including, actually, my current building -- I learned they are giving a couple months free rent and lower rent overall to new tenants. It just doesn't apply to existing tenants, so the existing lot (me included) are leaving in droves.

I'm currently on the border of the Financial District and Tribeca, and I decided I wanted to try and get into a different neighborhood. I looked at places in Chelsea, Tribeca proper, Midtown West, Upper West Side and the West Village. I love the West Village and would love to live there, but the places I can afford aren't big enough for my Texas-sized furniture.

I got a lot of shit from brokers when I mentioned my king size bed. I originally bought the bed frame and accompanying furniture when I was in my last long-term relationship. Unfortunately, we broke up shortly after we purchased it (on my credit), and I got the furniture while he kept the mattress. I ended up buying a terrific mattress -- the same one Westin uses for their Heavenly Bed -- and absolutely love it. Since I had just paid it off before moving to NYC, I didn't want to get rid of it. And now, I'm even more attached to it.

Then there's the cat. I've had Sabrina her whole life, which next month will be 16 years. She's my loving companion, and I'm treasuring what I realize are her golden years. (If I'm lucky, she'll live to 20.) So the bed and the cat are not negotiable.

I started on Friday night after work, seeing a couple of places. Then all day Saturday, from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. I didn't even eat lunch. After church on Sunday, I saw a couple more. And Monday at lunch, two more. One of which I'm hoping will be my next pad.

I've put in my application and paperwork, including 2 recent pay stubs, 2 bank statements, 2 last tax returns, and a letter from my employer confirming employment and salary. Keeping my fingers crossed it all goes through... (and if it does, I'll tell you more about it!)

6 comments:

Irishparisienne said...

Fingers crossed for you.. finding an apart in NY sounds just as bad as Paris!

Unknown said...

That reminds me of how certain I was after a trip to NYC last year that I would try to relocate there, asap. Routine has set back in here in MI, and I'm not sure now if the answer is relocation or more travel. But, this morning I booked my next short excursion to NYC with an undeniable free hotel room (points earned and shared by a consultant friend)!

So, at risk of sounding like a blog stalker, I was hoping to ask if you had any other "local" tips to share. There's no concern of us finding our way, but based on what you share on your blog, you seem to be of similar age and interests. And I might have a night somewhat on my own while I let my girlfriend have dinner w/ husband (the consultant), but I'd like that to be a safe and enjoyable excursion. And you seem to take on solo excursions as required. I think you can email back from my comments. If you think you'd have time to suggest a few things, send me an email and I can give more details off-blog.

Unfortunately, we have all mid-week days because I was anxious to follow up on the kayak tip I read on your blog - sigh - but it seems it's only on the weekends.

Emily said...

Irishparisienne: I've never tried Paris, but this is definitely exhausting and stressful!

Traci N: I'd be happy to share some tips. Unfortunately, I can't view your profile (it says it's not public). Email me at get2emily[at]gmail[dot]com

Vetmommy said...

Sorry this has been such a hassle for you. The savings and location may make it worthwhile in the end.

Sabrina is non negotiable!!!

Unknown said...

Sabrina is def non-neg, but geez I am thinking I would get a smaller heavenly bed if it meant a sinfully good location in the West Village.

I'm in NYC and only avail during afternoon hours next Sunday, otherwise obligated as spouse on business trip. Are you around?

Emily said...

Vetmommy - I hope so. It's very stressful!

Edamamemommy - Unfortunately, ALL my furniture was too big for the W. Village one: bed, dresser, sofa, coffee table, etc. I would have to sell it all and start over, and that is even more stressful to consider. Hope to see you on Sunday!