Monday, August 24, 2009

All Gussied Up

Definition: Dressed up, as in Emily loves to get all gussied up and go to a fine event. The origin of this expression is not clear, though possibly it relates to the earlier use of the noun gussie (derived from a proper name) for an effeminate man. [Slang; mid-1900s]

And so I was on Saturday night. This isn't the best picture of me, but I wanted to show the back of the dress, which I believe has the most interesting feature. (And if I look tired, it's because this was taken at the end of the evening, when I got home.)



I was delighted to be invited and attend my cousin Rob's senior banquet at West Point on Saturday evening. It was Ring weekend, and he received his senior ring at a special ceremony on Friday. I met up with him and his new girlfriend Brittany on Saturday in the city, and we headed up by train later that afternoon. It was great to catch up with his parents and grandparents, whom I hadn't seen for some time. The only downside was that the grand banquet hall isn't air conditioned, and we had the worst hot, swampy, humid weather imaginable. We all sweated through our nice dinner, passing up the piping hot coffee that was offered with dessert.

Unfortunately, my camera battery pooped out on me, so I only got a couple shots. I'm hoping
others will share their photos with me.

One thing of note: the dress I wore was one I originally purchased in 1995. I've kept it all these years because I just loved it, but it hasn't fit for a long while. I was thrilled it does now!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on fitting into the dress. I know that feeling, it's very exciting!

get2eric said...

Oh don't you look good!

Only one more stone to go. hey?

Anonymous said...

You look "marvelous!" I am so glad you kept the dress for an encore. It does look hot at West Point but Brittany looks very cool!
Love, M

jman said...

If the dress were shorter you could be doing your best Betty Grable imitation! Very elegant in a 40's sort of way (my guess is that is the only way you want to look 40's at this stage of your life!!). You do look fabulous! Always nice to get that positive reinforcement from one's determined efforts.

jman said...

PS - If I were Gussie I would want to get all emilied up! And if I were simply Gus I would want to get Emily. Just sayin like.

Emily said...

Sahun: Thanks! It was exciting that it fits again.

get2eric (Daddy): Thank you! Yes, I'd like to lose about 10 more lbs, but I'm [mostly] happy with where I am now.

M: Yes, Brittany was very cool and nice. I liked her a lot.

jman: Did you have a cocktail before commenting last night? That's the most forward you've been in your compliments and comments. :-)

Anonymous said...

Lovely and SEXY,Em!!! I love the dress..and 'hey,Jman why not meet my lovely Niece?'then you can come for a visit to England! (sorry, just me being a bit forward) xx


Aunty Norma.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the origin of "gussied up" - a phrase that is often used in my family! I can use it in a sentence - Emily looks very purdy all gussied up! You do look great!

Does it freak anyone else out that Rob is a senior? That combined with Ashleigh starting first grade yesterday combined with the gray hairs that seem to be popping up in exponential fashion lately make me feel O-L-D. Thank goodness I have a young hot friend in NYC ;-)
xoxo WLM

Catwoman Anna said...

You look pretty, Em-em.

PS. U want 2 check ur e-mail.

;-)

Anna

get2eric said...

This might be an all time record for comments. 10.

But who is counting?

Emily said...

Auntie Norma: thanks as always, for being one of my biggest fans.

WLM: isn't the origin interesting? I had to include it. I agree, I was reminiscing about Rob as a wee toddler on my lap...now he's 6'7"

catwoman Anna: Thank you, darling niece!

get2eric/Daddy: you're just jealous. :-)