Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Apt Update

After much searching (and all the crap that entailed), I determined a few things:
1) I have big, Texas-sized furniture
2) There are few neighborhoods that have big enough apartments in my price range to fit all my stuff
3) The West Village smells like urine, whether canine or human, I'm not sure
4) I'm beginning to not like change as much as I used to

And after the initial discussion with the management company of my building was fruitless, my second attempt was more successful. (It's all who you talk to...) So, I'm moving down a few floors to a very-slightly smaller apartment in my current building. I lose my view, but also the echoing construction noise from Ground Zero. I get to keep the convenience of a washer/dryer in my apartment, garbage disposal in my sink (very rare here), the doormen I know and love, the excellent building manager who is a sweetie, the gym I'm used to, and all the knowledge I've obtained about my existing neighborhood for a cheaper rent. Overall, I'm happy.

I've already lined up boxes, movers, cable and electric, and I've already started to pack. I'm moving next Saturday, the 5th, so my Labor Day holiday will be spent getting all settled in.

Oh, and if this change weren't enough, my office is moving this Friday, too! While I don't like having to shuttle between the two offices now at Times Square and Union Square, and while I detest Times Square and all the hawking advertisers and the hoards of people, I will miss Union Square's great shopping and farmers market. The new office is slightly closer to my home, so no concerns there. Just more change.

8 comments:

get2eric said...

Sorry we're not there to help....

jman said...

I'm curious - if you live downtown how is an office in Times Sq closer to home than one in Union Sq? In any event maybe we will satisfy some of your readers and bump into each other inasmuch as I work in the Times Sq area.

As an aside the reason why garbage disposals are rare in NYC is because until relatively recently they were illegal for reasons I am not quite certain of. As a result I believe only fairly new buildings have them (same goes for washer dryer in apt, not that they were illegal just not present). Glad it has all worked out for you with a minimum hassle.

Emily said...

get2eric/Daddy: you've helped me move so many times! thanks for the thought.

jman: I currently go between two offices, one in Union Square and one in Times Square, as my company is split between the two. The new office is between Tribeca and W. Village, in an area they're trying to name Hudson Square.

jman said...

Now I understand. I thought that simply your offices were consolidating into the Times Sq location. Guess we only have 2 days in which to bump into each other. Sorry Aunty Norma. :)

The trouble with the "Hudson Sq" locale is 1) not a whole lot of places to go to run errands or get some lunch and 2) Holland Tunnel traffic! Still on a nice day you can easily walk home if the spirit moves you.

Anonymous said...

Seriously it is time to meet you 2....stop this flirting!

Since Jman doesn't have a blog.....What are his stats? Divorced? Kids?

Does anyone know? ;)

YOUR KILLING ME!

Anonymous said...

JMan..stop making feeble excuses and darn well meet my charming Niece..I promise you that it will be the best thing you have done for a long time :) All Emily's fans are waiting with bated breath and we have our own ideas of what you look like..well I can tell you that like Emily I dont care what you LOOK like it's the inside that counts every time..as long as you don't look like KING KONG that is..hahahaha at least we now know that you have a sense of humour and THAT is top of MY list!

A.Norma.x

Unknown said...

Everyone should have an Auntie Norma.

paula said...

I totally agree XXXX