Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Fun, but Not Funny

Thanks for all your kind comments. My back is feeling better. (knock on wood!) It's been a bit touch and go for the last few days, but it definitely feels better than last week.

This weekend, I was feeling okay and wanted to get together with my new friend. I met her a few weeks ago when I went out alone, hoping to meet up with Cuban Musician later. She's a beautiful African American girl around my age who's lived in NY her whole life and has never been married. So, Never Married was really sweet and we got along easily. She was out with a married girl friend, who remarked how impressed she was I was out by myself!

We all hung out for awhile, and before parting ways, we exchanged emails. So when I saw an interesting comedy act in the daily NY paper AM NY, I asked if she'd like to go. She suggested instead we go to a free comedy show she knew about in the West Village.

It started out a bit slow, but there was one act that really got us laughing. And then their headliner came out, a young woman who talked about her single parenting and living in NY. It was an absolute train wreck. It was really uncomfortable. She was loud and not funny and it just went ON and ON and ON. She just complained about different things in her life, but instead of being funny, it seemed like we were in on her personal therapy session. I asked the waitress for our check THREE TIMES, and we finally just got up and walked to the door to wait for the check. We weren't the only ones.

We left there and grabbed a late dinner, and then I got to hear more about NM's dating life. She's gone back and forth with two exes, and told me she really wants to meet new people. I agreed to help her try!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIKES! Doesn't sound like much fun at the comedy place but glad you have found a new friend.
Love, M

Anonymous said...

Nice for you,Em. and you just might meet someone for YOU when you're out with NM ...:)


A.Norma.

jman said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Maybe we were separated at birth because this week while on vacation (did you miss me?) I ended up with a debilitating muscle spasm in my back which doesn't sound as bad as yours did. I'm doing better too I'm happy to say. I am glad my cure did not involve enduring an unfunny comedienne even if in the company of a new friend. Weren't you allowed to heckle? I thought that was part of the comedy club experience.

datinggirl said...

7 Days of Unlimited One-on-One Seduction Consulting for FREE.
visit :http://tinyurl.com/mjzgog

Emily said...

I always think it's strange but somewhat interesting what blog spam I get. The last one cracked me up!

M and Auntie Norma: Yes, a new friend is always good, and it's better to go out in pairs!

jman: So sorry to hear about your back! LOL that we may have been separated at birth. I did miss your witty comments while you were away. Unfortunately, this was not a heckling kind of comedy club. But she was a bit scary anyway; I don't know that I'd want to heckle her!