Friday, May 01, 2009

Another NY Date

The guy I met last night described himself as an "Authentic NYer" -- born, raised and always lived in Manhattan. At first look, I was glad he looked like his pictures online (not always the case) and recognized me right away from mine, saying I looked exactly like my pictures, too.

We met at a great bar where he knows the bartender, and I got the bar's signature martini, which included orange-flavored vodka and a wine-based liqueur. It was refreshing without being too sweet. He got a whiskey-based cocktail, and while he offered me a taste, I don't like the smell of whiskey at all. He was very intrigued about my drink, and after several questions about it, I realized he wanted to try it and offered him a taste. After that, he felt like he could take a sip of my drink whenever he felt like it. It was strange, and I called him on it. He said, "Well, you said to share it with you!" which I did not. A sip is not "share." Whatever.

He enjoyed talking and apparently hearing himself talk. He's quite confident he's an interesting conversationalist. But the multiple times he interrupted me were annoying. I also noticed he had several mannerisms that, in my opinion, were effeminate. And while that usually sets my Gaydar off, I've seen this with other straight NY guys, and I think it's just a difference between Southern men and Yankee men. But I have a difficult time finding this attractive in a man.

In the middle of a conversation, he motioned to the bartender to give us the check and said, "let's get out of here, go somewhere else." Since it was 7:30, I assumed he meant grab a bite to eat, but you know what assuming gets you...

As we left the bar and started walking, I asked him, "Where are we going?" He stopped for a minute and said, "How about a rooftop? Is it too cold for you?" I agreed that sounded like fun and asked again where he was thinking of. "My place, of course! What did you think I meant by rooftop?" Well, I was thinking of the rooftop bars that I have been to in this city, and I'm not sure what you are planning. I told him that while I'm still learning the cultural differences between here and Texas (and believe me, there are many!), I did learn the hard way about not inviting someone up to your apartment unless you're expecting something. He asked me about how I learned that and completely agreed with the guy and told me I was in the wrong. (Yeah, thanks, I figured that out!) He also told me he wasn't expecting anything other than to enjoy my company. I still felt a little weird, though... (WHY don't I listen to my gut???)

He fixed me a drink - but not himself one - and again helped himself to sips of my drink. Weird. He was also overly touchy. He kept touching my hands or my arm while he was talking to me. Out-of-the-blue, he asked me, "Are you attracted to me?" and I was so caught off guard, I just told him the truth, sort-of, saying, "A little."

"A little?!" he was obviously disappointed. I told him I needed to get to know him more, that attraction to me is more than just how someone looks. He recovered, saying he only found me a little attractive, too. So I thought, maybe we can be good friends...

He showed me his balcony (NOT a rooftop) and moved in close. I panicked and put my hands on his chest and asked, "You're not going to kiss me, are you?" (Dumb question, of course that's what he was going to do.) Unfortunately, my question didn't stop him, but I just gave him a closed-mouth kiss and wiggled away.

I went to the bathroom and while I had a moment to myself, started thinking of ways to get out of there. But when I came back to the living room, he said, "Did you have everything you needed in there?" I laughed and said yes, toilet paper and a sink with soap. Then abruptly he asked, "Do you want me to walk you down stairs to get a cab?" What a 180-degree shift, but I wasn't going to pass up that opportunity and said, "Yes, please. That would be nice."

The best part of the date was the cab ride home!

7 comments:

jman said...

AH well nothing ventured nothing gained. Very bizarre about the drink sharing - hopefully neither of you were a flu carrier (maybe you should have told him you just got back from Mexico City). Appetizers, yes. Dessert, yes. A bed eventually, perhaps. But drinks? I am curious as to what sort of mannerisms you find effeminate and which apparently no self respecting Texas male would ever evidence.

Anonymous said...

Ugh! What an ill-mannered boor. Have you found that many native New Yorkers think they're God's gift to women? (As someone who grew up in MI, but has lived in South Carolina for 25 years, I definitely appreciate the manners and mannerisms of a good southern gentleman.)
jman--I love your Mexico City idea! haha
Emily, you should keep a journal and write your own version of Sex and the City. You are a wonderful story-teller. Your encounters with these frogs would make fascinating reading, and eventually you'll meet the prince to end the story.

Emily said...

jman: yes, I actually thought about the flu thing. Hopefully the alcohol killed any germs! As for the mannerisms I term effeminate, it's hand gestures, expressive rolling of the eyes and dramatic ways of speaking. Hard to put into words, but if you have ever seen Sex and the City, it's the Anthony character.

Anonymous: thank you for the compliments! I've actually been working on a book, but I don't know if it will ever be more than a personal diary of sorts.

Anonymous said...

Emily! you are a natural storyteller..I really 'lost myself' in your tale. :) If you do decide to write (and finish) that book, please put me down for a first edition. :) I love Jman's idea...maybe you can use it some other time :( ugh,I am VERY particular who drinks from my glass/cup. xx

Aunty Norma.

Vetmommy said...

That date sounds WORSE in print than it did when you called me! Wonder what he was thinking. Maybe it was, any girl would be lucky to have a guy like me!

Anonymous said...

Huh! in his dreams,Jennifer..in his dreams! :)

Aunty Norma.x

Anonymous said...

I wish you could have a camera on some of us as we read your posts! Reading about your date I had scrunched up eyes, rolling eyes, shaking head, buggy eyes backing away from the screen as if to say "don't you dare kiss me you closeted sharer" :) If your book every gets made into a movie, I vote for having some dramatic webcam footage of people reading your posts!! Ha!
Miss you and am ready for another Mi Cocina date!! xoxo WLM