Monday, May 11, 2009

Exercise = Endorphins

I was feeling a bit low on Friday and Saturday. A long work week just about beat me down, and the week of dreary rain also dampened my mood. I'm also pondering what to do about my birthday. (My upcoming birthday doesn't fill me with dread because it's another year older, but I'm dreading spending it alone.)

I usually talk to my mom on Saturdays. We catch up on what's going on with the family and trade stories about work and stuff. I told her I was down (and maybe even cried a bit) and she encouraged me to get out and get some exercise. She also gave me a good way to put my birthday in perspective, saying we will celebrate it while I'm in Texas to also celebrate my sister's, dad's and nephew's birthdays. (May's a busy month for our family.) 

I took her advice and got out on my bike, riding up the West coast of Manhattan where there's a bike path along the West Side highway. I rode up to 70th Street, then across to Central Park where I could get at least some mild hills. Back on 72nd to the West side, I rode back down, enjoying the salt water smell and the kite event that was happening on one of the piers. 

And whattya know, mom was right. I did feel better. (Although my butt is still a little sore.)

5 comments:

get2eric said...

Great move.

Anonymous said...

Glad it helped! And how was your run on Sunday?
Love, M

P.S. My word verify is "bumsigfa"!!! How's that for a modifyer???

jman said...

Bumsfiga is swedish for sore butt in case you were wondering. Surely there are easier ways to get an endorphin rush than torturing one's butt. But maybe that's just me, the person who considers sloth one of the 7 lovely virtues.

Unknown said...

Do you have any of the lovely padded crotched cycling shorts? They are worth trying if you don't...

Emily said...

Yes, I love my padded bike shorts! Makes a big difference, but 13 miles on a small seat still has a bit of an impact on the pelvic bones.