Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Long Birthday Weekend

My birthday was on Sunday. This year is an odd-number year for me, and for some reason, I don't like odd numbers as much as even ones. Something about a number being divisible by two makes me feel more balanced. Strange, I know, but both times I married (which if you haven't been reading long, didn't work) were in odd-number years.

To prepare for facing another year, I treated myself to a spa on Saturday. I found a package deal online that included everything I wanted for an amazing price -- body scrub, massage, and facial, plus they give you champagne and chocolate! (Although, that was a bit strange. It's a day spa, so it's in a regular office building, tucked away on the fourth floor, looking completely nondescript from the outside. Upon entering, they had soft music and lighting, and the rooms were comfortable and clean. They gave me the champagne and one single chocolate after my treatments, and showed me to a small table and chair and surrounded me with a folding room divider. So I sat, looking at the room divider, eating my chocolate while sipping champagne!) The staff is all Eastern European, and the woman doing my facial asked me in a heavy accented voice how old I am. When I told her my still-thirtysomething age, she remarked in surprise that she thought I was much younger! (This is not just good customer service, folks. She was looking at my face with that bright light and magnifying lens.)

On Sunday, Aloha Guy arrived, having taken the red-eye flight in from LA. We met at my place before going to church. When he had originally asked me what my plans were for my birthday, I told him all I had planned was church, and he asked if he could go with me. I was pleased he wanted to. After church, I have choir practice, but the jetlag was catching up to him by then, so he retired for several hours to his hotel. Later that afternoon, we met up and did some touristy things and had a late dinner at one of my favorite places in Tribeca. Oh, and some nice kisses. :-)

Monday was a gorgeous day, and we spent much of it enjoying the sunshine and mild temperatures, including a picnic lunch down near the Hudson River. He had work in the city on Tuesday, and we met after our works at my place. (He picked up sushi at a place I recommended.)

All in all, it was a really great time. He's so very generous -- always offering to pay, considerate -- he insisted on spoiling me (Oh, if you insist!), and very complimentary. He's also very laid back and not at all pushy like the guys I've met here in NYC. The only flags I've seen so far are that he's recently divorced, has two kids from his marriage, and lives in LA. So I'll see him when he's on this coast and let the rest unfold as it will.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post - and so it sounds like you had a very nice birthday in NYC after all. Enjoy the ride.
Love you, M

jman said...

Glad to hear you had a good birthday (and happy even year birthday - of course this means that your even year birthdays occur in odd number years so maybe it is the odd years which are the good luck and not the number of years old you are) and weekend. I do know there were a lot of disappointed military wandering the streets in search of you.

Lauren said...

Sounds like you had a lovely birthday! I know you were a little worried, but it's nice to be pleasantly surprised how well things work out sometimes.

Anonymous said...

??? am wondering why the Military were looking for you,Emily??? :)
Happy that you had a lovely Birthday with your new Aloha Man.

Aunty Norma. xx

jman said...

Dear Aunty Norma,

Since it doesn't appear that Emily is going to respond here (maybe she has privately in which case I apologize for the repetition), I will enlighten you about the military. Every year in a week which straddles the Memorial Day weekend, there has been a tradition in NYC of several years running, of Fleet Week, where several US naval ships dock at various points in the City for the week and the City is awash in sailors and marines in their dress whites and blues, respectively. Think On the Town with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly or more contemporarily, the episode in Sex and the City which centered around Fleet Week and a party on board a ship.

Anonymous said...

Hi,Jman, Thank-you for the explanation of the American Fleet..I didn't really think our Emily was in any trouble and she has not let me know privately so thanks again..x


A.Norma.