Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Showers & Quilts

This past Saturday, I had two baby showers to attend.

Baby showers aren't every single gal's favorite activity, especially those of us who are pining for a baby of our own, but two of my dear friends here in NYC are both expecting their firsts -- both girls. And I have been working on making each of them a quilt. Usually, I ask the moms what their nursery theme is and design a quilt to match that. But both these gals -- Erin and Kelly -- told me to just create whatever. The only guidance I got was that Erin asked that it not have too much pink, and Kelly requested bright pink.

So I created the quilts to match each of their personalities. Erin's quilt is made of pastels -- green, yellow and purple. (The back is light green with purple butterflies.) Erin is such a sweet person, one of the nicest people I know, and she's very traditional. I used a pattern I had done before, so I knew I could complete it well and quickly.





Kelly's quilt is bright and bold, just like she is. I chose a simple pattern, but it has a twist: every other square is made up of smaller squares. I chose the bright pink and purple to create those little patchwork squares. I sewed long strips of purple and pink in groups of five, and then cut the sewn strips crosswise and sewed the new rows together, alternating the colors. It didn't take as long as I feared, and the back fabric matched the yellow with bright butterflies in the solid squares.


I was thrilled that both Erin and Kelly were excited and touched by the quilt I made for their baby girl. And now I just have one more to do, for a friend whose baby boy is due in July.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

We've loved the quilts you've made for my girls! You should figure out a way to "sign" your creations. I've seen little tags you can have printed that read, "Made with love from X." I think that would be the icing on the cake! Love, L

Anonymous said...

What treasures! I love them both. Your friends are very lucky to have someone like you to gift them with your love and talent.

Anonymous said...

Smashing. When do you find the time?

Vetmommy said...

Those are beautiful. I wish I could make the pictures bigger to see the details. We are proud owners of some first generation Emily quilts. They are precious.

grandad says said...

On a different subject, a while ago you wrote about smell and the pill and dating etc. Here's an interesting article on that subject.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/05/06/dating-smell-match.html


Sorry I couldn't hyperlink it!

Anonymous said...

..they are both just beautiful,Emily, your Friends sound very nice people. How do you join it all together? by Hand or Sewing Machine? I love the little Butterflies..

Aunty Norma.xxx

Emily said...

Lauren - good idea! I just have to find some I like...

Anonymous - finding time is a challenge and why it takes me a few months to complete one. I usually quilt while I'm catching up on my favorite TV shows.

Vetmommy/Jenn - I know, I'm not sure why you can't click on these to enlarge. (And I know I still owe you a quilt...)

Grandad - thanks for the link. Very interesting.

Auntie Norma - I use a sewing machine.

Anonymous said...

..You are a very talented young lady,Em. and should have been snapped up ages ago (especially in New York) I always thought that there is someone for everyone in New York! but there again we are a fussy lot ain't we? :)

A.Norma.xx

Katie said...

Baby showers are not my favorite either, but those quilts are beautiful! If only I had the patience to sew...