Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Texas on my Mind

I'm wearing my fancy cowboy (cowgirl?) boots today. They are black with silver trim. My mom and I bought them in El Paso for me to wear to an audition for Opryland. While the audition wasn't a success, I was proud that they didn't cut me off as quickly as some of the singers and let me finish the first verse. I figured it couldn't have been too bad.

On the subway tonight, a guy got on wearing a hat with the emblem from my college alma mater, Texas A and M. (Can't find the ampersand on this stupid blackberry) I gave him the thumbs-up Gig Em sign and he asked when I graduated. Then he said something about their football team not being so great this year. I shrugged. I haven't watched a college game in years. I don't watch much football at all anymore. In Texas, football is king, and although it's annoying that so much of the school funding goes to support the football program, I have fond memories of Friday night games throughout high school and college games on Saturdays after Friday night Yell Practice. It was fun to have that school spirit and feel like a part of something bigger than myself.

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

You will be here soon! Its been too long.

Anonymous said...

I could never understand why the fact that someone spent 4 years at some place made their sense of joy so tied to how the college's football team or other team did. Why people who didn't even go there care how the team did is even less fathomable. As if how a team does somehow justifies one's existence. And in the end isn't all one is rooting for, whatever the team, simply a logo, that one will root for whoever is wearing it and root against whoever isn't, even if the day before they were wearing it? Can someone please explain this to me? (You seem to have the right attitude to it all - while you are there it matters and once you are gone it doesn't)

Anonymous said...

I agree Emily! I love being here at A&M--we boast the friendliest campus nationwide.=)

And yes...midnight yell is definitely a blast.

Love you! See you when you get to Texas!

Bev