Monday, November 24, 2008

Vulnerable

I got a call on Saturday from my bank's Fraud Department. [Cue suspenseful music] It seems my debit card was compromised, and with two transactions, the thief pretty much wiped out my account. I'm very glad that the bank was on top of it and quickly noticed the out-of-the-ordinary activity and froze my card, but I also feel so angry and vulnerable.

I've learned the hard way how to manage my funds, and one of the ways I stay away from credit card debt is to use the debit card. It's so convenient...until something like this happens.

I'm not sure how the card got compromised, but it certainly threw a wrench in my plans for the weekend. Fortunately, I had taken out some cash the night before in preparation for this week's travel, so I'm now using that sparingly until I get a new debit card and the stolen money gets replaced, which may take several weeks. I know this happens often and everyone is vulnerable to such a theft, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about that. I would say it is most likely that either someone at a store you used the card at used it or it was obtained when used on the internet. Did they wipe out your account with purchases or withdrawals? That might be a clue. At least you are with family who can help out with any liqudidity problems this week.

Anonymous said...

My goodness,Emily, you are very fortunate to have such a diligent Bank..I'm so sorry to learn of the theft..I hate thieves with all my Heart! A.Norma.x