Friday, November 21, 2008

It's Friday and Sunny and I'm Looking Ahead

I was supposed to have a date tonight with FWB. He called me this morning to cancel. Bummer.

But I'm so focused on next week, I'm not giving him too much thought. On Sunday, I fly to Austin to spend the week there. Fortunately, my company allows us to work from other offices, so I will meet my Austin colleagues and spend some time in their offices Monday-Wednesday. It's a great option because I'm avoiding travelling on the busiest travel days of the year AND I get to spend the evenings with my sister Jenn and her family. Plus, I don't have to take vacation days to do it.

Unlike last year, when several of my NY friends and colleagues wondered from my frequent visits to Texas if I truly lived here or there, this year I haven't been travelling home as much, mostly due to the rising costs of airfare. And of course, the NYers don't understand that Texas is a big place, and I have people to visit in Dallas, Houston, Austin and Waco. Unfortunately, the place that sees the least of me is Dallas. I have some terrific friends there, but my family is in the other cities.

And of course, when you travel, you don't want to be on the road the whole time. You want to spend quality time with people you miss and love. For Thanksgiving, I'm focused just on Austin. My parents will come in for Thanksgiving, and I'm hoping to meet up with a couple friends there for drinks or lunch. I'm also planning on packing my suitcase with all the food items I can't find up here to bring a little taste of Texas back with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a lovely time in TX although Thanksgiving in NYC is one of the nicer parts of the year here, current arctic blasts notwithstanding! Don't know if you are a barbecue fan but in this week's New Yorker there is an article about TX barbecue and the current no. 1 spot in TX in a town called Lexington about an hour from Austin.

Emily said...

Thanks, jman.
I actually have family that live in Lexington. I'm not a huge BBQ fan, but there's a great place here in NYC that is owned by some guys from Austin, called Hill Country BBQ. Very authentic!