Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Warmth & Cold

Forget fall. Winter has come in with a vengeance. Since Sunday, it's been significantly colder with bone-chilling winds. My skin is suffering the consequences, and I can't seem to get enough moisturizer. I've been bundling up with multiple layers -- for instance today I'm wearing a turtleneck under a trench, and to go outside I add my coat, scarf, gloves and hat. Sometimes I consider a ski-mask. The wind chaps my face and makes my eyes water. But one of the things I love is the combination of warmth and cold, like enjoying a cup of hot coffee, wrapping my hands around the cup to enjoy the heat, or snuggling in for the night under piles of blankets. My cat Sabrina comes up to my shoulder and sniffs and digs in the blanket. I lift it up for her to climb in. She goes under, then turns around so her head is out with mine, slamming her body up against me, effectively spooning with me. Then I can put the covers back down and snuggle with her. She doesn't stay that way all night, but I enjoy feeling her purr beside me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Oriental Shorthair, Skylar, does the same thing. She is lanky with a very short coat and loves to be warm. Once I tuck myself in for the night she jumps on the bed, touches her nose to mine, and gently paws at the blanket until I lift it up for her to climb in. Isn't it great to have a soft, warm, purring 'heating pad' to snuggle with?

Vetmommy said...

There are some definite benefits to true winter.

Anonymous said...

OOooh,I loved this posting ,Emily, I feel all cosy and warm now thanks to reading about you and Sabrina snuggling up together mmmmm
...cosy..cosy.
A.Norma.x