Monday, September 24, 2007

The View from Here

Last week, I had dinner with a potential vendor. I had met her while I was at my last company, and I think their product is very interesting so I invited her to present to my new team. She discovered that we both went to the same university, and now that I'm in NYC, she says we Texan girls have to stick together. (She lives in Connecticut, but works for a company in the city.) I told her my biggest challenge has been meeting friends, and she said she wanted to introduce me to a guy from her company -- not as a date, but she said he's a widower and is also looking to meet new friends.

So, she brought him along to dinner. I'm a big believer in chemistry, and right away, I could tell there wasn't any. However, I do need friends, so I just approached it with that in mind. We had a nice dinner, mostly talking about business. This guy lives very near me, and when he said his apartment has a view of Ground Zero like mine (his from the south side, mine from the north), we joked that we would have to compare to see who had the better view.

He and I shared a cab home, since we live so close, and he walked me to the door of my building. It felt strange -- I felt like he wanted me to ask him up, so I said, with doubt in my voice, "did you want to see the view now?" He agreed, so I quietly sighed and led the way.

Fortunately I had recently straightened up, so everything looked pretty good. He agreed my view is better (ha!) and showed me which building was his. That done, I was ready to usher him out, (It was late, and I had work the next day...) when he suddenly said, "Can I kiss you?"

Uh, no! The first thing out of my mouth was, "How 'bout a hug?" which he took.

Then he kept commenting how pretty I am, while I'm trying to smile and guide him to the door. Ok, bye-bye now!

I wrote him an email the next day and told him I was sorry if I gave the wrong impression but I'm just looking for friends. He wrote back with "Ditto!"

Why does it seem that the guys I like don't like me and the guys I'm not interested in are very interested in me?

3 comments:

Vetmommy said...

I think you handled it well, but I can't help but be sorry for the poor guy! I know, I've been out of the dating scene tooooooo long.

Unknown said...

That, my friend, is Sod's law. Not much that can be done about it, in my experience.

Anonymous said...

Keep faith. You know very well that there are men out there with the same feelings you have for them! Well..at least I know one :)... But you handled it well.