Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A NY Opportunity

Months ago, Starbuck's promoted a book titled A Long Way Gone, Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. I was intrigued not only by the content but by the author's glowing, hopeful face on the back cover. I bought the book and was amazed by this young man's positive outlook despite the incredible tragedies and adversity he has experienced.

After sharing the book with my sister Jennifer, she asked if I wanted it back before moving to NYC. (We usually pass books along through all the women in my immediate family, and I was down-sizing for NYC.) I told her I definitely did, since the book remarked that the author now lives in NYC and I might have a chance to meet him someday.

Last Monday, volunteering at the Reading for the Blind organization, I picked up a YMCA catalog of events and Ishmael Beah's name jumped out at me. For a small price, I was able to hear him speak last night. He was amazing. His optimism and wisdom belie his young age (26). He signed my book, and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to talk to him, if only for a moment, and to hear him speak.

2 comments:

get2eric said...

Oh that's neat. We saw his story last month on T.V.
A remarkable person.

Vetmommy said...

That is so cool! I saw him on Jon Stewart before I read the book, and he does have a charismatic personality. I am so glad you took the book w/you!