Monday, July 12, 2010

Slowing Down to Texas Pace

I think it's going to take me awhile to shake off NY...things move much slower here, which isn't all together bad, but just different.

Yesterday, I dropped off my sister Jenn and her family at the airport for their much-anticipated vacation to Chile. I was so sad to see them go, but I hope I didn't show it. I am excited for them, but it is so unnaturally quiet and lonely at their house without them.

I was thrilled that my uncle Tom and his girlfriend asked me to join them for dinner. I have seen them so rarely in the past several years, and it seemed so easy to get together for a spur-of-the-moment meal and we ended up talking for hours.

Before meeting them, I ran to the grocery store for a few things, intending on just being there a few minutes. One of the things I found frustrating in NYC was the small markets with limited items. Often, I would have to visit three different stores in various parts of the city to get all the necessary items for one of my recipes. Not so in Texas...you know how they say everything's bigger in Texas? The grocery stores are MASSIVE. There are so many items. Just looking at the milk, they must have had 20 different kinds. The choices were almost overwhelming. Although I do appreciate having the choices, it takes me longer to make a decision on the simplest things. That, and I'm not familiar with the store layout yet. :-)

Another thing to get used to: driving again. I've only driven rarely in the past three years, and it still takes all my concentration. It's no longer second-nature to me, but it's coming back quickly.

I also noticed today how courteous people are. I walked from my office over to the bank and cars that could have turned in front of me actually waited until I had passed in front of them. That wouldn't have happened in NYC! I found myself smiling, and someone I passed said Hello!

I stopped into Starbucks for an afternoon caffeine fix. The cashier forgot to call my order to the barista, so I reminded her, and she gave me a coupon for a free drink next time. They're NICE here. The whole wait time was much less than the overcrowded Starbucks near my NY office. Oh, and cheaper!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right, Emily. I am a MI transplant to Charleston, SC (26 years now!), and the pace and daily interactions with the public are so different. I just visited my parents in MI and couldn't get used to drivers honking irritably at each other and no one looking me in the eye or saying hello when I passed them in the street or at a store. I love the gracious south. (Not that the north is bad, mind you. Just different.)
N.

Anonymous said...

...am wondering when you start back to work,Em.?


A.Norma.x

Emily said...

N: There are things I love about the North, too, like how direct everyone is. Sometimes, Southerners are passive-agressive rather than speaking their minds. But wherever I am, I'm trying to focus on the positive.

A. Norma: Yesterday! I haven't taken time off for the move yet, mostly because I'm not moving into my new place until July 26. At that point, I'll take a couple days to get settled. Otherwise, it's business as usual.

Small Town Girl said...

Hey Emily, I came across your blog through another one and really liked it !
As a fellow 30 something never married woman, your blog really struck a chord. We are from different geographies but our situations are quite similar.
Good Luck on the new beginning at Austin ! I know what families mean..

God Willing, we will find our grooves this year....

jman said...

In New York there is an art to crossing the street even with the light when cars are turning. You have to make them stop and then of course there is the venerable tradition of jay walking - you cross when you can where you can. Where's the sense of accomplishment in crossing a street because some motorist let you?

And can you imagine having to say hello to every person you passed in the street up here, even if you were inclined to do so? You'd sound like someone whose voice got stuck on a loop. Faux friendliness is for small towns not big cities.

OK I will put my inner curmudgeon back in its box now. Hope it's all going well.

Anonymous said...

The great thing about the south, jman, is that the friendliness isn't faux. And people don't actually say hello to every single person they see. But they do make eye contact and have a friendly look on their face. You may want to try it someday and see how much better it makes you feel. (Remember how good it feels to reach out to strangers from behind your computer screen?) Of course it might scare the heck out of those New Yorkers around you. ha

Kit Kat said...

Came across your blog, and like Small Town Girl, I'm in my 30s too.. in a different Country :-)

The change must be huge, I mean driving alone.. wow!

Hope the change brings good things!

Kit Kat
http://kitkatsdating.blogspot.com/

Emily said...

Small Town Girl: Welcome! Thanks for reading. Although I have to confess, I'm a divorcee, I hope we have more in common than not.

jman: Ha! True. Crossing the street is a contact sport in NYC. And to clarify, ONE guy said Hello. Not everyone!

Anonymous: I tried being friendly in NYC. I was told I'm "too nice" and people looked at me like I was very strange.

KitKat: The change is good for me. Glad you found me!