Monday, May 31, 2010

Trying the Younger Set

While there are millions of people in NYC, it's just not that easy to meet people. Perhaps it's because people tend to stick to their own groups and take longer to open up to newbies. And it's a well-known fact that there are more single women than single men here...and the men know it. So I apologize for the lack of dating-related stories. Believe me, I've probably missed dating more than you've missed hearing about it!

But I'm happy to report I had a date...with a younger man. Now, generally I have dated men my age or older, but I figured...eh, why not? This particular younger man is someone I used to work with. He's nice and cute, and he asked me out for a belated birthday drink/dinner.

I chose Sala, a great tapas place with delicious sangria. We had a great time, conversation flowed easily, and he was very complimentary and a good kisser. I sent him a text message the next morning thanking him, but...nothing. Radio silence. Crickets. I suppose someone should teach this young guy how to treat a woman and be respectful. But I don't have the patience. Besides, I hate the term "cougar."

7 comments:

Vetmommy said...

At least you had one enjoyable evening. AND that's all I'm going to say about that!

Nicole said...

I despise it when they can't man up and be honest. I really feel I couldn't face the thought of a younger guy till I was at least 50 *lol* at least they might be kind of grown up by then (and nothing under 30!!)

Anonymous said...

If you don't mind me asking, how much younger?

jman said...

We don't know how long since a response has not been forthcoming and there may be an extenuating circumstance. On the other hand, it may simply be awkwardness or cowardice in not wishing to say thanks but no thanks. And the young (or younger) have no monopoly on those two characteristics. Some people have no class and some never acquire it. For now you had a pleasant time and leave it at that.

Emily said...

Vetmommy: Yep!

Nicole: Maybe you've got something there.

Anonymous: 10 years or so? Too much, I think.

jman: it's been 5 days, and the thing is, he said he'd call over the weekend. My point is, don't say that if you have no intention of calling!

Anonymous said...

Ah,well,Em...another foolish chap who doesn't know what he's missed!



A.Norma.x

Julie said...

I'm all for the younger men, they of course have their downsides! And we are pumas not cougars (yet!)