Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dinnertime

In preparation for the family birthday trifecta (sister Jenn's 40th, Dad's 70th and nephew Colin's 7th) this weekend, I arrived in Austin yesterday. (Working remotely for a few days, which is perfect timing to get my team's reviews completed.)

Yesterday afternoon, my bro-in-law Anthony was preparing to take the kids to piano and realized he hadn't figured out what to make for dinner. (Yes, he's pretty awesome.) I had to insist he let me cook for them. I usually just help out with clean up or kid stuff, but I realized I could help out and treat them to one of my favorite dishes at the same time.

I had an hour. I ran to the store and got the necessary ingredients, then came back and started cooking. I made guacamole for "appetizer" -- in quotations because we can't give it to the kids as such or they won't eat anything else -- wild rice, steamed broccoli and Chicken Guadalajara, which includes sauteed onions, peppers, chicken, cream (fat free) and monterey jack cheese. The kids and Anthony came home about 15 minutes before I finished, and Jenn walked in from a day of veterinarian-ing just at the ideal moment.

Dinner was a hit! Anna was exclaiming how much she liked the chicken, and I teased her that I made this exact dish for her 5 years ago (when she was only 4) while I was taking care of them. At that time, it just seemed too foreign to her, and she refused to try it. And Anthony gave me one of the best compliments, asking if I'd made this dish for any of the guys I've dated (yes) and wondering how that didn't win them over!

Colin was most impressed that I had thought of dessert. I bought three pints of ice cream in different flavors for us all to sample.

8 comments:

jman said...

That meal sounds delicious and certainly worthy of seconds and thirds if there was enough. Plus some to take home for breakfast the next morning. Let me know the next time you are making it in NYC. One small quibble - what's the point of cream if it's fat free? Sounds more like skim milk.

Unknown said...

I agree with jman. Bring on the real cream, I don't like fake stuff full of cargenaan to thicken it. But nonetheless, my mouth is watering imagining the yumminess....

jman said...

The next thing you know our "quibbles" are going to be in French! We're not ganging up on you. Honest.

Emily said...

Jman: So you want to come over if I make this in NYC? That would mean I actually get to meet you.

EdamameMommy: it was tasty. I can make it for you with real cream.

Jman, part two: If you're going to quabble in French with my sister, do it on her blog! I don't understand it.

Anonymous said...

hahaha good replies,Emily,Attagirl!
The meal sounds lovely..mmm ermm what's Guacomole,please?

A.Norma.

Anonymous said...

Recipe please. Sounds too good to miss.

Emily said...

A. Norma: Guacamole is made from smashed avocados. I seasoned it with some garlic salt, salsa and lime juice. If it's not for the kids, I would add jalapenos, too.

Anonymous: You can find the recipe at http://www.recipegoldmine.com/meatchickskilletF/poblano-chicken-guadalajara.html

Anonymous said...

Awww,shame..I don't like Avocados :( ah,well,it all sounds lovely anyway :)

A.Norma.xx