Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sweet Karma

Sorry for the lack of posts. I need to give a recap of last weekend's birthday extravaganza, but I haven't downloaded my pictures yet! Every night has been busy with something, and I've had to catch up on mundane things like laundry and bills that I usually do on the weekend. Plus, the triathlon is two weeks from this Sunday, so I have to get a workout in every day.

But this is too good not to post!

Several years ago, a new boss was brought in to oversee the group I worked for at the time. I met with him a couple times and provided information on how the group had grown and changed over time. After he'd been there for a couple months, he announced a reorganization and the creation of several new management level positions. Immediately after the announcement, I went to his office and announced my desire for one of those positions. He laughed at me. Then, he said I could interview for it, but obviously his mind was already made up. It took me almost two years to get promoted, even though during that time, I was doing the job and was viewed as a leader by others in the organization. Even after my promotion, he treated me with no respect and made things difficult for me. I worked hard and tried not to let his opinion get to me, but I never forgot how he treated me.

Years have passed, and we both have moved on to other jobs. I have continued to move up, taking on more responsibility and achieving a senior title I never imagined.

Recently, I got a request from him through a social network to connect. As his note described, he has been recently let go "due to the tight market" and is wondering if I know of any "appropriate" positions for him. It may be a tiny bit evil, but I had to laugh out loud. There's a saying that came to mind: "Be careful of the toes you step on today as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow."

6 comments:

jman said...

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Isn't it nice when life imitates Hollywood? I don't even know the guy but if he treated you badly, then he deserves everything (bad) he gets! What response did you give him to his request? I hope it involved something revolving around supersizing it!

Vetmommy said...

Its never polite to laugh derisively at someone. Hope he enjoyed his side of humble pie when he sent that email.

2 weeks to the tri! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

I can't even describe how many ways I absolutely LOVE this!! Oh sweet karma.

Asian Dating Sites said...

I hope you had great Birthday parties with 3 big days in a weekend!

I always believe there's a super power above us all who sees and gives back the rewards and sticks. Your hard work paid you ultimately in your future jobs even if it was not giving good returns in earlier stages...hard work always pays, even if it is late. And bad intentions always get their dues in return. Your boss is now getting fruits of his own seeds...what you sow is what you reap.

Emily said...

jman: I gave no response. I thought it best not to say anything.

Vetmommy: I'm getting excited about the tri!

Anonymous: Me too!

Asian Dating Sites: Very true.

Anonymous said...

oh,my,Emily..did my Heart good to read this..two sayings come to mind (to add to Asian Dating's) .."Be nice and kind to those you meet going UP the ladder for they will remember you when you meet them coming DOWN" and, my very favourite :What you send round comes round..nasty,nasty Man!

A.Norma.