Tuesday, February 17, 2009

V-Day is Over!

Long time no post...partially due to the fact that I was trying to ignore Valentine's Day. I was hoping that with it being on a Saturday this year, I could just hibernate through it without calling attention to my singleness, but on Friday, flowers kept arriving here at the office for various girls around me. At the end of the day, I got an IM from a fellow singleton here remarking about the plethora of flowers for seemingly everyone but us.

On Saturday, I planned a quiet day and evening, but although I knew my cousin Rob was coming in from West Point and meeting me for lunch, I wasn't expecting to spend the whole day and evening with him. He was bemoaning the fact that he doesn't have a girlfriend and is at a school with few women, and I was trying to encourage him while being in the same, if not worse, situation myself.

I did finally get some time to myself yesterday for self-pampering. I went shopping with my favorite companion -- my debit card -- and stimulated the local economy while getting some really cute outfits for my upcoming cruise. I was thrilled to buy several smaller-sized items, and just enjoyed the saleswoman's comment that "everything looks great on you" even though I know she's trying to make a sale. Nothing like some retail therapy to perk a girl up!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Our sweet valentines from you arrived on Saturday morning and they tore into them. Evelyn and Graham were both really into the "lip goop" stuff. The cards are so sweet. I think children are the best Valentiners, all the adult stuff has too many expectations/obligations attached.

Anonymous said...

I sent flowers to as many offices in and around the Union Sq area, but I guess my funds ran out before the possible offices did (and I hope there wasn't more than one Emily at those offices!). Will try again next year with the offices I didn't cover provided of course you don't change jobs in the meantime!

Emily said...

Steph, glad the Valentines arrived on the day! I picked stickers and lip stuff because I was trying to pick something other than candy!

Jman, Aw, thanks! But don't worry about next year. My company is moving offices this fall south and west, near the Holland Tunnel.

Anonymous said...

Em..I think all your cards got lost in the post! and I didn't get a single one either :o( xx

A.Norma.

get2eric said...

Oh lucky you on the size thing. Despite only 1 beer in 2 weeks and sweating like a pig at the gym I am still gaining rather than reducing.
Guess I will be wearing my Guiness pants on the boat.