Monday, February 23, 2009

Music to Soothe the Soul


A little over a year ago, I mentioned the idea of a choir to the minister at my church and we started one. Our organist is our leader, and his talent and encouragement have made us into a pretty decent group.

Yesterday we performed our most ambitious music to date: a Latin cantata by Buxtehude and a women's-only piece titled Snow. Both were accompanied by violins.

The cantata was a bit of a struggle, but we got through the 8 minute piece without anyone in the congregation knowing where we missed an entrance or added an extra harmony note. But the Snow...! It was incredible. We had five women, two altos and three sopranos, and we were so in tuned with each other. The unison parts sounded like one voice, and then we would break into harmony in perfect rhythm. The song is very haunting, going from a minor key to major then ending back in the minor. The violins added complexity, and at times it sounded to me like part of a movie soundtrack. When we ended, the sound floated down to a hushed audience, and I found I was shaking. It was so good, and it was so great to be a part of it!

I corralled everyone into taking a picture after our mid-winter potluck lunch, but two people had already left. The gentleman in the middle is Earl, our director and accompanist.

6 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Wish I could have heard it in person, but you sure make it sound great!

get2eric said...

It sounds like it was worth the effort. What did the congregation say?

Emily said...

The congregation was very complimentary. I think the best comment I heard was "It sounded like angels."

Unknown said...

Brava! I loved reading your description. I bet it was fabulous!

Anonymous said...

I like the expression "it floated down to the congregation" I bet you DID sound like Angels too.xx

Aunty Norma.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, Em! I wish we all could have been there to hear it.
Love you, M