Monday, January 19, 2009

Snow

It's snowing today, and I'm at home to enjoy it (off for the MLK holiday). 

I ran some errands earlier and walked around in it. I'm still fascinated by the snow. It's so light, it floats down to earth, sometimes floating sideways before turning back downwards. How it muffles the sounds of the city, and how it makes everything look clean and new.

Two songs came to my mind. The first is from "The Sound of Music:"
"...snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
silver white winters that turn into spring,
these are a few of my favorite things."

And in choir, we are practicing some of our most challenging songs yet. Our choir director chose one song just for the women called "The Snow:" (it's in a minor key and hauntingly beautiful)

"O snow, which sinks so light,
Brown earth is hid from sight,
O soul, be thou as white,
As white, be thou as white as snow.
O snow, which falls so slow,
Dear earth quite warm below;
O heart, so keep thy glow
Beneath the snow.
O snow, thou art white no more,
Thy sparkling too, is over.
O soul, be as before,
Was bright, be as before
Was bright the snow.
Then as the snow all pure, all pure
O heart be, but endure;
Through all the years full sure,
Not as the snow, not as the snow."


2 comments:

Vetmommy said...

Those words are beautiful. I imagine its even more moving with music.

get2eric said...

Even I like that too.